The main common area; utilized for eating , sleeping, and basic sub standard living.
Dapper Dog

[Day 4 - ME] The People vs. Master Hoshin

Post by Dapper Dog »

After Layne was pulled in by Republic Forces in the Early Morning, the members of the base demanded that she be held accountable for her actions. It was a precarious situation as technically she was Jedi, but witnesses have reported her saying she was Sith. Rumor has it that she might even serve Darth Baras directly, perhaps the whole tie she was supposedly a Jedi!

Rumors aside the matter has tensions in the base running high. The staff have converted a portion of the common area into a makeshift courtroom. Aftyer much deliberation, it was decided that Master Yulani, Senator Saresh, and General Zholyeva would stand as judges and that their ruling would be final.

Any usage of the Force is strictly prohibited. As for charges, Master Hoshin is being charged with Espionage, Murder of a Republic Officer, and Escaping Confinement.

Rep-Sold.jpg
Rep-Sold.jpg (13.55 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Lt. Henley Ujips was a model Intelligence Officer who helped to defend the Jedi Temple and was awarded a commendation for wounds suffered during the evacuation efforts. She was a twelve year veteran of the Republic Armed Forces and leaves behind two children and a husband back on Coruscant. Her murder is attributed to Master Layne Hoshin.

OOC: Republic can provide up to 2 prosecutors, Master Hoshin is allowed two defendants, one Imperial and one Republic due to the rather unique nature of the case.
Head GM | Darth Chocolate of the Sith | Duelist
Qozaiym Zholyeva

Re: [Day 4 - ME] The People vs. Master Hoshin

Post by Qozaiym Zholyeva »

The General entered first and took her place at the head table, dressed in her blacks, clean and polished.
General | Imperial Army | Human | Tall | Slave-Born | Renegade | Hardened | Strange Accent | Sith Empire

*Played by Dapper Dog
Leontyne Saresh

Post by Leontyne Saresh »

Senator Saresh took her place to the General's right, dressed in a Republic blue power suit.
Twi'lek | Senator | Seasoned Politician | Fearless | Ambitious | Republic

*Played by Dapper Dog
Thy Yulani

Post by Thy Yulani »

Thy entered last and sat to the General's left, dressed as she always was, a serene Jedi Master.
Light Side | Human | Chill | Old Soul | Mother | Duelist | Jedi Master

*Played by Dapper Dog
Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

OOC: Either side can call witnesses, up to 2 witnesses each side.
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Layne; no doubt bound by restraints; stood or sat at the place appointed to her. She appeared to be resigned to whatever fate might be decided for her here today.
Jedi Master | Human | Elevated Slave | Former Sith | Intimidating | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Natural Bladeswoman | War Hero
equipment: Jedi Battle Armor, Lightsaber(Black), Lightsaber(Blue), assorted other stuff
Riss

Post by Riss »

As one of the prosecutors for this case, Countess Riss Lanar enters the room and takes her seat. Sitting in the secondary seat to her fellow prosecutor Tethys Carrack Riss exuded a sense of propriety that her friends would scarce believe if they never saw her at other functions that demanded decorum. Preparing herself with a few datapads that were handed to her in the days and hours leading up to this moment she continued to review them as best she could. Despite her typical countenance she was learned enough to play ball here, and was more than ready for the proceedings.

Of course, she was really good at swaying an audience and that flair of presentation wasn't left out of the attire she scrounged together out of what remained usable on the Rimma for this important event.
Alderaanian Nobility | Human | Countess Lanar | Socialite | Diplomat | Disarming Smile | Bisaster | Bo's Favorite Sister
Description | Theme
Artist

"It's not me, it's you."
Qozaiym Zholyeva

“Zhese are zhe ground rules,” General Zholyeva said rising to get everyone’s attention.

“We zhree will form a tribunal, I am zhe best we have as a choice for a neutral party as it were, Senator Saresh represents zhe Galactic Republic and Master Yulani zhe Jedi Order. Zhere will be no deazh penalty, but a judgment will be determined at zhe end of zhe testimony. Senator Saresh and Master Yulani will bozh pass zheir respective judgments zhen we will confer and announce a final sentence.”

“I am told zhat in Republic space you are considered innocent until proven guilty, novel if extraneous. Zhat will be our standard. Zhe Prosecution will open and zhen Defense will have a chance to rebuttal, zhen witnesses and findings and so on and so forzh.”

She finished wizh, “Use of zhe Force is expressly forbidden, and will result in harsh recrimination. We ask zhat zhe audience be respectful, and anyzhing said on zhe stand will be on zhe record. If we are understood, zhe prosecution may begin.”
General | Imperial Army | Human | Tall | Slave-Born | Renegade | Hardened | Strange Accent | Sith Empire

*Played by Dapper Dog
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Luth entered, as well, looking as unusual for people used to seeing her as the prosecution. She was dressed warm but not in armor, and her hair was loose down her back rather than pinned up for her helmet. She walked with a military clip, all formality and dignity after twelve years of getting used to formal events. She wasn't a performer, but generally her even keel and reasonable demeanor saw her through. If they needed a passionate orator, they would likely have to rely on her partner in this instance for that.

She took her seat when the prosecution was signaled to begin.
Sith Lord | Human | Former Spy | Assassin | Sniper | Baras' Ghost | Tired

Equipment: Broken Promise (armor), Rifle, Binoculars, Sylvain's Amulet
Tethys Carrack

Post by Tethys Carrack »

Tethys looks like Tethys always looks. Like Thy, she wears the same earthy Jedi robes as usual, though with the inclusion of an extra warm layer. Her expression is grave but calm as she joins Riss, an obvious air of oh, do I ever wish this wasn't necessary hanging about her.
Light Side ○ Jedi ○ Human ○ Tall ○ Wanderer ○ Calming Aura ○ Nobody's Fool* ○ Profile Link
(*If shading the truth or socially manipulating, let's roll dice and see what happens.)

Notable kit: Robes, utility belt, lightsaber, comlink, cuff bracelet (energy buckler); backpack and/or Jedi armor when called for; faint but distinct scent of sea air.
"Jedi are peaceful, not idiots."
Riss

Post by Riss »

With a final word to Tethys, Riss stands for the prosecution and approaches the central stage. Facing the judges she offers a bow of Alderaanie make and begins:

"Thank you, General Zholyeva," she casts a look across the judges, "Tribunal."

"We, the People, stand before you to bring the charges of Escaping Confinement, Espionage, and the Murder of a Republic Officer against Jedi Master Layne Hoshin in a time where joint trust is imperative. In times such as these we need clarity concerning the death of Lt. Henley Ujips, a decorated officer of the Republic, and not just for ourselves but for the family she leaves behind, a husband and children back on Coruscant. Jedi Master Layne Hoshin has already admitted to these allegations among a group of her peers, and thus was first arrested for this crime before she escaped custody. This is a simple case, as Jedi Master Layne Hoshin has already confessed to these crimes and upon willfully surrendering herself- then fled custody at a later date, these are the actions of a guilty woman who feels justice creeping upon her. Should Jedi Master Layne Hoshin plead guilty once more, we would ask the Tribunal take her acceptance of justice into consideration come sentencing."
Alderaanian Nobility | Human | Countess Lanar | Socialite | Diplomat | Disarming Smile | Bisaster | Bo's Favorite Sister
Description | Theme
Artist

"It's not me, it's you."
Thy Yulani

Post by Thy Yulani »

Thy nodded and turned to Layne, "How do you plead, Master Layne?"
Light Side | Human | Chill | Old Soul | Mother | Duelist | Jedi Master

*Played by Dapper Dog
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Layne looked up at Thy; her eyes seeming to carry an apology in them, though who knew if it'd be received that way. She then looked at Baesal and Luth for a moment. Both of them may have wanted her to plead a certain way, if for two very different reasons.

She looked down for a moment, thinking it over one last time, before looking back up again.

"Guilty."
Jedi Master | Human | Elevated Slave | Former Sith | Intimidating | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Natural Bladeswoman | War Hero
equipment: Jedi Battle Armor, Lightsaber(Black), Lightsaber(Blue), assorted other stuff
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Luth nodded to her. Nothing else. She'd done her due diligence, and Layne had listened. If there was more from there, it would be her and Baesal's turn. They would work with it.
Sith Lord | Human | Former Spy | Assassin | Sniper | Baras' Ghost | Tired

Equipment: Broken Promise (armor), Rifle, Binoculars, Sylvain's Amulet
Leontyne Saresh

"To all of the charges?" the Senator asked. "You admit to being a spy for Darth Baras, just to be clear."

*Played by Dapper Dog
Baesal Zyn

Post by Baesal Zyn »

Baesal stood up

''Layne Hoshin pleads guilty to the charges of manslaughter and escaping from confinement. She pleads not guilty of the charges of espionage.''
Jedi Master - Togruta - Student of Master Raji Xen and former Sith Apprentice - Mistress of Artifices - Maverick of the Order - Killik?
Notable: Sleek alien cyberarm (left), Jedi robes, Silver coils around her lekkus
Often seen with R5-T8: her droid assistant
Leontyne Saresh

Leontyne nodded and looked to the prosecution to continue.

*Played by Dapper Dog
Tethys Carrack

Post by Tethys Carrack »

Tethys clears her throat. "A point of order, Senator. Master Hoshin hasn't been accused of manslaughter, but of murder. We should be clear about which we are discussing today."
Light Side ○ Jedi ○ Human ○ Tall ○ Wanderer ○ Calming Aura ○ Nobody's Fool* ○ Profile Link
(*If shading the truth or socially manipulating, let's roll dice and see what happens.)

Notable kit: Robes, utility belt, lightsaber, comlink, cuff bracelet (energy buckler); backpack and/or Jedi armor when called for; faint but distinct scent of sea air.
"Jedi are peaceful, not idiots."
Leontyne Saresh

"Of course, murder," she repeated and then looked at Layne.

*Played by Dapper Dog
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

She could only give a quiet shrug that might be interpreted as consent or resignation to the charge; Layne was supposed to be quiet for stuff like this after all, under advice from her counsel who would be making any arguments as to these kind of legal distinctions that she herself wasn't really clear on anyhow.
Darth Bellious

Post by Darth Bellious »

That triggered a voice from the audience.

"I, Lord Bellious, Darth of the Sith Empire, claim this process to be a mistrial. The charges are inadmissible. If Layne Hoshin considers herself Sith, is a follower of the Dark Side and a loyal member of the Sith Empire, her conduct should be judged by legal standards of the Empire. In which human sacrifice is perfectly legal, morally and religiously encouraged. Particularly if committed in the heat of passion, as passion is the foundation of the Sith Code. The only accusations that can stand on substance are those of espionage, but this belongs to diplomatic channels, not the courtroom. I won't legitimise this with my presence, and I encourage every Sith of belief to walk out."

[I can roll if a roll is needed.]
Sith Lord | Lethan Twi'lek | Imperial Officer of Hidden Rank | Shadow Magus | Mother of Revolutions | Has Already Won

lightsabre, pistol, full armour, thermal cloak, some supplies and gadgets

"Whatever is done for love always occurs beyond good and evil." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

Darth Bellious wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:17 am
That triggered a voice from the audience.

"I, Lord Bellious, Darth of the Sith Empire, claim this process to be a mistrial. The charges are inadmissible. If Layne Hoshin considers herself Sith, is a follower of the Dark Side and a loyal member of the Sith Empire, her conduct should be judged by legal standards of the Empire. In which human sacrifice is perfectly legal, morally and religiously encouraged. Particularly if committed in the heat of passion, as passion is the foundation of the Sith Code. The only accusations that can stand on substance are those of espionage, but this belongs to diplomatic channels, not the courtroom. I won't legitimise this with my presence, and I encourage every Sith of belief to walk out."

[I can roll if a roll is needed.]
Imperial staff eject the Darth on Darth Baras orders.
Qozaiym Zholyeva

The General added, "Continue."

*Played by Dapper Dog
Baesal Zyn

Post by Baesal Zyn »

After the courtroom settled down Baesal inquired with Layne and the defense to see if murder was the correct charge in this circumstance. This trial just felt like a sham, she suspected Layne was a sacrificial goat to the altar.

''Layne Hoshin pleads guilty to the charges of murder and escape''
Jedi Master - Togruta - Student of Master Raji Xen and former Sith Apprentice - Mistress of Artifices - Maverick of the Order - Killik?
Notable: Sleek alien cyberarm (left), Jedi robes, Silver coils around her lekkus
Often seen with R5-T8: her droid assistant
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

She'd nod at that; agreeing with the words of her counsel, then waited to see how the prosecution would proceed.

This was the way.