Aurilie Alde

Re: [Day 4 LM] Are You Just Kidding Around? (Expecting/closed)

Post by Aurilie Alde »

She raised her brows at first with the word use of 'stuff'. "Lineage and affluence aren't guarantees of success, as much security as they would provide to any children of royalty. I suppose there are a few stories of those who have fallen from grace, although I wonder if they are more cautionary tales than something that has ever happened. I think my wife and I easily want them to be good people, even if we have different approaches, that will likely be the end result. What they do as good people will be entirely up to them, as children will turn into adults, right?"

"A bit of a complex matter but usually it will fall on the eldest, so long as they show enough willingness and confidence to take the throne in the future," she nodded on the matter, not wanting to go too much into detail about it. The fact that a woman had the title of prince was perhaps a complex one on its own.

"... There are other options in the universe? And what of your partner, she is a...?" She let the questions linger so that Jan could hopefully fill in the blanks.
Alderaanian | Human | House Alde | Prince of Mount Joral | Hunter | Aristocrat | Also the Mother
Description | Art by MasterArsenic

Typical Gear: Cascader headpiece, Nice Coat, Big Gun, Utility Belt, Stims x2, Explorer’s Knife, Commlink
Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"You're just raising them to do...whatever?"
Jan glance at the kid goats and then back at Aurilie.

"What if one of them wants to a...a dancer or an accountant? Seems a bit of a waste."
At least most goats were raised as goats.

"Well, I suppose if they're off doing interpretive dance or whatever it is they'll be happy with that and the eldest can be happy with being prince."

Smirking slightly at Aurilie's question.
"She is a Sith Lord, yes. But I find it only adds to her charm. She's a very powerful woman, and I think the power is good for her. You've probably seen her around the camp, the only sith who can hold a conversation without mentioning how many younglings they killed at Coruscant or how unfulfilled their romantic life is. But I don't see any reason we couldn't home school our child, with the appropriate tutors of course. Her force sensitivity could be a useful advantage in the board room, it doesn't have to doom her to a life of war."

Jan quite firmly crosses her arms.
"Obviously if I had to choose between the two I'd pick the child be raised a jedi for the simple reason they'd be much more likely to survive to adulthood. But I think it's something of a false dichotomy. Anyone can found a force organisation, your royal princess did, and the Jedi even made her a master!...Master Melmoar, that would be something. I'll have to ask them when the time comes."
Czerka Corp Director | Human | Strictly Neutral | Decorated Veteran| Got What's Hers | Sharpshooter | Has a deputy |
Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

"Whatever seems to imply that we're taking a completely lackadaisical approach, Director Melmoar," she said a touch sternly on the matter. "If you have spoken to both my wife and I, you cannot sincerely believe that will be the case. We take our family very seriously. I hope I haven't misrepresented my family in the slightest. Surely, you jest here."

"We will have plans and expectations for our children. Each one of them will be a member of Alderaanian royalty but I am leaving some realistic space that their approaches and aspirations might diverge from our expectations. I come from a place where that was put on me, rigidly at that. It was only my assertion of those boundaries that allowed me to become the person I am today. I should allow them the same leniency."

"I haven't spoken to many Sith Lords at length but I will take your word that she is quite distinctive from her peers. Still, I'm surprised this is the path she wants to take with a whole Empire under her leadership, in part. Separate but still close, I take it? As to how the Princess was able to accomplish such a feat, I cannot comment, much less share any insight so that how it came to be." She shook her head, the Jedi were a mystery to her.
Alderaanian | Human | House Alde | Prince of Mount Joral | Hunter | Aristocrat | Also the Mother

Typical Gear: Cascader headpiece, Nice Coat, Big Gun, Utility Belt, Stims x2, Explorer’s Knife, Commlink
Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"But surely the difference lies only in what you regard as them making the wrong choices? Respecting their boundaries is all well and good, but I can't imagine that would include allowing them to indulge in hard drug use, even if they so wished?"

Jan's arms remain crossed.
"It seems to me to be a matter of degrees. Furthermore, you have many children, so if one or two want to spend years partying across the galaxy while they study Ithorian poetry then there are still some in reserve. Lucinia and I intend to have only the one, we can't afford to have them turn out a waste."
Czerka Corp Director | Human | Strictly Neutral | Decorated Veteran| Got What's Hers | Sharpshooter | Has a deputy |
Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

"I wish to respect my children for who they are but I suppose by obligation as a parent, I still have my own duty to fulfill," she nodded gravely on that topic, hoping that will never become a reality. Rhia's hair would likely turn grey if that happened. "It is also my job to steer them toward what I feel is right. If that requires me to play a villain to see that realized, then so be it. However, we can perhaps agree that shackling them isn't going to do much good either way? It is likely the problem can be prevented with nurturing."

"Each of my children is precious." She said a touch adamantly on the matter. Yes, she might have favourites but that wasn't a discussion with anyone but Rhia. "I won't just discard a child just because they choose to do something that might harm them in the future. I don't view my children as military assets and there are no acceptable casualties here. That said, I can see why you'd want a perfectionist approach with one child. However, even with one, not everything can be perfect."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

Jan's eyes flash for a moment at the mention of acceptable causalities but she pauses, takes a quiet breath and attempts to let the calming influence of the goats flow through her.

"That is a not wholly unreasonable point. Obviously they are precious...for the investment of time and resources, if nothing else."
Her conscience could get behind that.

"Your lands don't strike me as particularly cutthroat though? Any of my hypothetical progeny need to be prepared for a future where people are at best trying to take what they have, and at worst attempting to kill them. If they're not perfect, they might not succeed. There are no prizes for almost diving out of the way of a blaster bolt."
Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie narrowed her eyes on Jan and gave a dismissive shake of her head. She had a feeling that they weren't going to come to the same conclusion about the sentimental value of children. This was not something she was going to push further while being surrounded by goats and all of their byproducts. Note to self, take two showers after this.

She gave a shake of her head regarding Alderaan. "No, perhaps not cutthroat on the outside. Many see us as merciful and I suppose I won't disagree with that evaluation. I don't know if your land is an argument for having fewer or more children, however. I get the sense that we're discussing this from different perspectives. I was under the impression that you just wanted a child in your relationship, not a survivor. I do understand that they have to be both at the same time."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"I can't much imagine the use of a child who isn't a survivor, that seems a little grim. But my argument was more in favour of the different priorities our offspring might face. Presumably yours will have to be cultured and know how to conduct themselves at a noble party or at court. Mine will have to navigate a boardroom."

With a shrug.
"Court is dangerous, but you tend to only have coups every once in a while, when a weak ruler is facing a strong would-be usurper. It's all very grand, armies and proto-nations doing battle. But it's hardly the sort of place someone would blow your dog up because they want to make another 5% shorting your stock."
Pause.

"That's a reference to the Rappoachian Poodle incident. It's become rather infamous in corporate circles. I suppose my point is, people will want to blow up my Rappoachian Poodle too. So while it's good if it can do tricks and comes when called, being able to stay alive and health is an important prerequisite for both of those."
Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie looked at the woman incredulously at her tale, perhaps enough of a pause was taken that she didn't notice a goat that rubbed up against her, either thinking she had food or was its mother. She took a moment to shoo it away before regarding Jan once more in the conversation.

"...I see. It is rather unfortunate that people would go after dogs, especially to subject them to a rather exaggerated death. They are noble creatures and would never do something like that to us. Is everything just done with explosives on your side of the galaxy? Is there some appreciation for the grotesque or the unsubtle display of destruction? Or is that what passes for black humour? Where more is normal?"

If this was the norm in corporate life, it wasn't something that Rhia shared with her in great detail.

She gave a shake of her head at that. "Again, I will acknowledge that our differences are indeed because we are from different worlds, in many ways. One would think that you'd want a legion of children if this is indeed true...But regardless, either approach you wish to take, I hope that you find some appreciation in your future child."

Her approach was a bit off-putting, to be clear, but she wasn't going to change Jan's mind if they wanted someone who could survive explosions or could dodge incidental rockets.

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"As they say, if you want a friend, get a dog. I agree though, it is a little gauche to hurt creatures who by and large just want to provide affection. I can't speak to the explosives, other than to note it is rather hard to deflect the blast of a thermal detonator with a lightsaber. Perhaps it is simply how the ecosystem has evolved."

Jan also has to gently bat away some overly affectionate goats who clearly believed they would never get blown up.
"Yes, I suppose we are rather different in just about everything, despite also being quite similar in just about everything. But I appreciate the well wishes, I hope I can appreciate them too."

She stands for a few more moments before adding with a shrug.
"And your children seem reasonable for you to appreciate as well. Anyway, I should probably get back to work, long day ahead. But this was quite engaging, Prince Alde. Another time, perhaps? Maybe with our mutual partners?"
Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

She wave a look around the goatery, perhaps finally pleased to have been given time to end the conversation. While she smelled like goats, she supposed nothing was easy and she didn't step on anything. That would be considered break even, she supposed. "You've already had the pleasure to make acquaintance with my wife, I suppose it's only fair that I eventually get the chance to do the same with your partner. You know how to contact either my wife or me. Farewell for now, then. I think I'm due for a few showers."

With a nod to bid Jan farewell, she gingerly made her way back to her quarters.

/exit

(thanks for the scene!)

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

((Likewise! :D ))