Aurilie Alde

[Day 4 - Early Afternoon] Fancy Dining

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie collected two trays worth of food and made her way to a table with reserving seating for her dining partner. Ever since her landing here, she had already resigned herself to days of military rations and instant food. Ever since rescuing the cook and the working hydroponics, there were blessed with fresh and hot meals. It wasn't fancy dining by any stretch of the imagination but on this barren wasteland of ice, it was easily an oasis where small delights could be found.
Alderaanian | Human | House Alde | Prince of Mount Joral | Hunter | Aristocrat | Also the Mother
Description | Art by MasterArsenic

Typical Gear: Cascader headpiece, Nice Coat, Big Gun, Utility Belt, Stims x2, Explorer’s Knife, Commlink
Cynella Alde

Re: [Day 4 - Early Afternoon] Fancy Dining

Post by Cynella Alde »

It had taken some finagling on Rhia's part to ensure that the Alde nobility wouldn't suffer from an imbalanced diet. And for Aurilie's part, it had likely taken finagling on her part to keep Rhia from micromanaging everyone else's food intake too. Well, beyond rationing out amounts to people. That was at least considered reasonable among most people.

Not that Rhia was particularly good at numbers. Her parents had been far too liberal with budgets whenever she had made requests.

"Hello darling," Rhia said, getting up as her wife neared. Much as anyone loved spoiling their partner, Rhia was not one to sit idly by. She insisted on taking her own tray back to their table. "My meeting with Lady Malveaux will be in but a few short hours." Such wasn't something she would have ever done without consulting with her wife first. "Any final tips?"
Kuati Human | Princess of Mount Joral | Many Names, Many Interests | Motherly XO or Commanding Mother?

"You really mustn't overexert yourself. Building up a sweat in this cold will be the death of you, darling."
Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie had to stop Rhia from doing too far, for both everyone's and her wife's sake. She understood that she was looking for everyone's interest but she was sure that managing optimal diets was the last thing on more people's minds, especially when most daily meals were goat-a-la-something. Resources were limited and taste tolerances were a bit more lenient as a result. This was perhaps the very best they could have, despite their situation, but still far ways from meeting that goal of being home.

Part of her wondered if there was a black market of fizzy sweet drinks created thanks to Rhia's efforts...

"Good afternoon, my love," Aurilie would smile back at her wife as she let her take her own tray to the table. Her smile faded soon as she turned inquisitive regarding her future appointment. "...Is this a social or a negotiation? I was under the impression this would be simply a meeting over a few niceties."
Alderaanian | Human | House Alde | Prince of Mount Joral | Hunter | Aristocrat | Also the Mother

Typical Gear: Cascader headpiece, Nice Coat, Big Gun, Utility Belt, Stims x2, Explorer’s Knife, Commlink
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

All of Aurilie's efforts probably saved Cynella from a mountain of stress. Such was certainly needed when the main priority was, well, escaping this forsaken snow pit.

Second on the list was tracking down the black market sodas, of course.

"Why can't it be both?" Cynella asked, clearly underestimating how wrong it could go with someone like a Malveaux. "I need to maintain some contacts with the other side of the base. Otherwise, it'll be like missing out on potential markets and suppliers." She blinked then let out a sigh. "Not that I want this to be a permanent arrangement, of course. If Kuat were to start supplying to the Sith too... Ah! Perish the thought."

Cynella snapped herself back to a more cheerful persona. It still paled in comparison to her disposition on Alderaan, however. "It's a shame that it's so cold out, though. I'm hoping we could get another hunt out of the way, with Soren this time." Had they discussed the man...? It had been a few weeks...
Kuati Human | Princess of Mount Joral | Many Names, Many Interests | Motherly XO or Commanding Mother?

"You really mustn't overexert yourself. Building up a sweat in this cold will be the death of you, darling."
Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Assuming that they were making their way to the table as they walked, Aurilie sat down at the table and regarded her meal for the first time after collecting it. There would be no surprises waiting for her as it was curry goat, a returned classic that saw its rounds in the mess for the umpteenth time. She wasn't complaining, considering it was far better received than orange goat or goat sushi. Was it even healthy to each such things raw?

She titled her head curiously at her wife curiously at first before setting the paper napkin on her lap. "...I'm a bit surprised that you even agreed to the meeting, especially when you were a bit cautious in the beginning but I suppose it's been a few days. I must be lagging behind on making friends around here but it should be expected that they will be agreeable with your sunny disposition more." She offered Rhia a smile momentarily before the next topic.

"Ah, yes, Soren. I don't see why not. I've been meaning to get a better idea of him." The Republic must have hired him for a good reason. He didn't seem like a blood-thirsty merc.

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

Regardless of taste, Rhia wouldn't have complained. Well, any more than she had before. She needed to eat, especially if she were to keep her mind ahead of things.

"It was actually me who proposed the meeting. As for why her in particular, I simply made that decision based on her ties to Director Melmoar." Rhia shook her head. "It's not exactly about creating a long-standing friendship. What I want is to do all in my power to ensure a safe return."

Rhia shrugged. "I can't say much about him, honestly. I just thought it might give you two a boost in morale, so to speak, to be able to relate." She pursed her lips. "He's certainly no Ser Keyhote." Nobody could really replace him. Obviously.

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie picked up her fork and casually mixed the curry with a plate of steamed grains and whatever noodles they could spare from the downed ship. It didn't look like much but apparently, this was supposed to be a treat of sorts. She forked some saucy bits and chewed them with casual appreciation as she listen to her wife.

She took a sip from her bottom as she gave her an uncertain look. "You make it sound like they're bound to hold us hostage or something of that sort during our stay, which is very unlikely I'm going to assume. We've all found some amicable agreements during the last few weeks and I don't think we're savage enough to have this turn on a coin. Murder trial aside, of course. The fact that we're having one instead of a stake burning is perhaps a sign that we've progressed far from the initial disagreements."

After a moment of dabbing her lips with the napkin, she smirked at Rhia. "I thought this was more about getting some non-goat-related protein than trying to boost morale here. However, I am pleased that you might think I need some optimism when you've provided plenty of morale in the last few days."

She said as she extended a hand across the table to hold hers, giving her an affection squeeze. After a moment, she gave a small shrug. "Of course...I suppose it was a bit of a loss to cut down on the fizzy drinks department but I'm sure people around here have found a way to function without them. We all know that high sugar has a way of taking a hold of you and making people resent its absence."

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

Bartering with the ortolans had been surprisingly simple. The pricing wasn't exactly great but they were, ultimately, interested in trade. I wonder if any would like to come home with us. Ah, well, they're not pets.

"I would never put anything past the Sith," Rhia said with a soft sigh. "They're dreadful people, really." She shook her head. "It's even easier for them to pretend that their Empire isn't built on broken bones and spilt blood." She set down her fork and reached out for her wife. "But such isn't great for table talk, isn't it?" That and their location.

Especially when people already knew her as, well, overbearing when it came to diets. "At a certain point, it might become necessary to use more of it. But honestly, the more I can trade away, the better."

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie did find herself giving a glance around on the topic of the Sith, considering that there were a few of them around the mess hall during this rather popular time for lunch. She gave her a knowing look before nodding and slowly releasing her grasp on her hand to return to lunch. "I suppose our rampant use of Republic credits might have devalued the currency when it comes to local trade. Money is a bit less useful here, it's not as liquid of an asset as a pelt around your shoulders or meat that could be eaten."

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"I can teach you more about the bartering system that's become more and more commonplace," Rhia said, her smile swelling with pride. "There's oddities to it, given the influx of goats, but fresh meat from other creatures runs for a high value."

Her good humor faded slightly, though that was enough to be registered as unusual for her wife. "You mentioned the trial. It's made me think again about, well, our children's future. Potentially."

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

"I confess that matters of trade are usually left to Ser Keyhote's squire, Sando. I know the locals are typically receptive to the game that we hunt and aren't so disappointed that they don't exactly come with all of the parts. Even then, I suspect that Sando only trades enough at a cost to cover his convenience and all of the labours involved. If we are to do that here, we have to be a bit more shrewd to make sure that we get the most for the base. So, that is something I do look forward to learning from you." She smiled warmly at that prospect.

In turn, Aurilie looked rather concerned, both at this possibility and her wife. "If they happen to be Jedi or not, I would imagine that they will have enough innate decency to not be swayed easily to a horrendous act like that. However, I know very little about this woman. Did she come from a high upbringing? Or an affluent background? ...On a Republic world?"
Last edited by Aurilie Alde on Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"It'll be the most marvelous of pillow talk," Rhia said with her signature wink. "I am fascinated, though, by the continued additions to Sando's repertoire of talents." She held up her fork as if a baton or a sword. "Perhaps I should find a squire for myself someday."

But training wasn't always something so amusing, it seemed. "So it may be more about upbringing. Interesting." She sighed. "But how did it get so far? It's not like we could easily step in at any time if we notice something's off."

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie blinked at first before glancing around the room and returning a small smile. "Of course," she said in agreement. Thankfully, they've graduated from sleeping bags to legitimate quarters.

"As for Sando, I imagine he might be one of the most exceptional in his role. Of course, I don't think he was born talented but only tempered about years of service, as well as the demands of his duty to Ser Keyhote. I've never asked if there have been other squires prior to him, if others left or have managed to graduate to Serhood. I'm sure we could entertain that possibility and there should be someone who might be wanting to fill that role in our kingdom."

She narrowed her eyes in thought. "But I imagine having a squire would clash with your current duties with the Republic?" And what of your previous endeavours?

"...That might be a question best posed to a Jedi?" She offered, being at a loss for answers. "I had always imagined that they were armed with enough clairvoyance to give them some inkling that there was something wrong. Or maybe the act was on impulse? Sudden without any thought other than a helpless call for attention."

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"That is a curious topic," Rhia said in regards to Sando's predecessors or lack thereof. It wasn't as if they could ask him or Ser Keyhote at the moment either. "But yes, you're entirely correct. I do have my obligations to the Republic." She shook her head before cupping her chin in true ponderance. "Perhaps when I'm a Captain, I'll have a Lieutenant who will act much like a squire. Ah, well, that may be out of line."

Rhia nodded. "Then I will have to entreat the Jedi for their perspective. Tethys has already made an impression on the children," she said, her tone clearly indicating surprise. With only some visits, she had managed to garner attention. Then again, Susette was so young that anything new was exciting.

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie forked a bit of food to eat and took a long sip of water as she watched Rhia go on further with her intent to get a squire. "...Well, I suppose you'll have a higher command then but I don't know if a Lieutenant is supposed to act in the same way as a squire, even on duty. I sincerely hope you haven't been asked to act as a caddy or a servant to your commanding officer, Rhia. If that is the case, I could see some strings pulled, as much as you dread politics getting in the way."

"Tethys is an upstanding citizen and a good role model. I think she's perhaps a good example of a Jedi who doesn't act on brash decisions. However, I suppose the Force might present something that might look impulsive to some but secretly deliberate to themselves? Regardless, I think Tethys might be a good person to ask and maybe even one to present our future concerns?" She looked to Rhia sympathetically for her feelings on the matter.

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Oh, no, it hasn't been the same in the least," Rhia said, reaching out to tug on her beloved. "The politics still irks me. Ironically, the very exposure to, well, the Sith on a constant basis... makes me more amenable to it. They haven't killed us yet, at least."

Rhia smiled during Tethy's commendations. "I will have to burden her with such questions then. It's sad, in a way, that I can't think of any way to make it an equitable exchange. Most people want something and yet I cannot fathom what I could give her. Part of me wonders if she'd be comfortable living out the rest of her days as a hermit."

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie would happily offer her hand to her wife when she saw that she was reaching out. "Not amendable to everything, I hope? I think there's a large gap between our politics and their politics. It is a tool that really produces different results depending on the artist who uses it. It could be something that crafts an expressionist piece or a hammer, intent on bludgeoning results out of people. Sometimes, squeeze blood from a rock, I suppose."

"Sometimes a gift doesn't need to be perfect?" She offered as an idea. "It might be near impossible to actually gift a Jedi with something they don't have but I imagine that she would at least have some understanding of the gesture, you might even stumble on something that she would appreciate. We could always consider inviting her over sometime. Perhaps Mount Joral would provide a better backdrop for such a meeting but our current circumstances do seem to make certain parts of the base feel like different continents, seeing as we're a bit restricted on venues here."

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Of course not. I will not sacrifice my principles. At least, not entirely," Rhia said with a slight frown. To even consort with the Sith already was breaching part of her ideals. Nonetheless, she refused to become more complicit with their sins. "If we are going to use analogies again, I would liken myself to a chisel. Such a tool requires finesse to chip away at the figure until it fits the desired shape."

Such finesse continually alluded her in regards to the Jedi. "I will admit that I may be overzealous in my haste. However, there is much idle time here at the base." Certainly her wife of all people had noticed her restlessness. Perhaps Carlotta had inherited that part from Rhia after all.

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

"Personally, I see you as Rhia, uncomparable to any mere object and absolutely irreplaceable," she offered a warm smile at her compliment. "Rather silly of me to think that you would waver, even to our amicable Sith neighbours and basemates. I imagine your meeting with Lady Malveaux so long you remain true to yourself and represent the Republic as a whole. Honestly, I find myself at a loss of what to suggest when you've filled that role so well as executive officer. I suppose you can make it clear that we are intent on extending our goodwill so long as they are willing to reciprocate..."

There was a momentary pause as she tried to imagine what Sith goodwill would be like. "...goodwill."

"I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself, there is a bit of restlessness in all of us. I suppose we've managed to stave off cabin fever with our duty here but at the end of the day, we're not exactly doing much to further our mission or rescue. Yet, at least." she let out a sigh.

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Irreplaceable," Rhia echoed, incapable of suppressing the joy a single word had brought her. "Perhaps I should send you in my stead, darling. Who could ever resist your words." What she did suppress was her urge to wink like so many times before. In this instance, she hoped to further a point. "I am vivacious by comparison. In consequence, your compliments shine through as more subtle and, in some cases, more valuable." She pursed her lips in thought. "Perhaps, though, Sith require a constant barrage of adoration."

Though on the topic of vivaciousness, she certainly demonstrated it by swaying ever so slightly in her seat. Courtly manners had taught her not to be a fidgety mess (oh Carlotta would need to learn that soon), but Rhia wasn't infallible. "There may be a vulnerability among the pirates. Unless they are not such, these types tend to have shifting loyalties."

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie chortled at the suggestion and she gave a shrug at the thought with a tinge of blush appearing on her cheeks. She looked appreciatively at Rhia with a small smile. "I suppose you do have an interesting idea on that note. The Sith might be caught off guard by such tactics when they expect a diplomatic approach to only be met by love and fondness. That said, I don't know how well I would do with such tactics in your negotiations when they might potentially be hollow. I know for certain that my loving words would only ring true when speaking of you and our children."

She raised her brow regarding the pirates. "You are likely right in that regard. Such a cruel organization will only hold on to each other so long there is either some selfish benefit or leeching strength from the leaders. As you know, I had spoken to a few of their members and there are some cracks, although they're typically only found behind closed doors. However, I don't know if we could be certain any of them could be considered an ally."

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

Whenever her wife laughed, it was next to impossible for Rhia not to join her. "It would not do for you to give them hollow compliments. In fact, I would be more concerned if they weren't so hollow. If rumors are to be believed, then the Malveaux Family is one steeped in the Dark Side and all that entails."

Rhia shook her head. "Not as allies. Certainly not. But if their organization was to crumble, then it would be an opportune time to strike." She held up a finger. "After it's too late for them, of course. We don't want to unite them against a common foe too."

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

"While I wouldn't want to assume too much about them just based solely on their reputation, I suppose Sith don't exactly stay affluent in their Empire only based on their birthright. Their ways require them to maintain their claws sharp and often drawing blood, which I suppose would have the admiration of some outside of the Empire." She said, knowing that some disliked the rampant nepotism in some Republic circles but the alternative wasn't exactly just slightly different. "I trust you to be careful, of course."

"Well said," she said with a sheepish smile. "That said, I hope that gives some credence to my rather uncharacteristic side jobs that I've been doing in Junk Town with Riss. The intent was initially to have some sort of small rapport to gleam some insight in their organization. However, it seemed that things managed to take a life of its own and I might have either found myself succeeding or taking the longest, most dangerous, scenic route to my intended objective."

Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Think about how cutthroat even Alderaanian politics can be," Rhia said with a consolatory smile. "We have not... We will not strive forward without needing to, say, sharpening our claws." Rhia sighed. "But yes, we can commend them on their will to succeed, that is true."

Talk about this Junk Town clearly didn't please her. Thus far, she had refrained from being overly critical though. If her beloved deemed it necessary, or even if she needed some sort of adventure, then it wasn't Rhia's place to shackle her. "So are you dressing up as a rugged criminal now? It's hard to imagine," she said with a faint smile. "Or are you like the ones in those Holovids? All dapper, hat dangling over your eyes, all mysterious like?"

She drummed on the table then leaned back. "Oh they probably have heat though. Nice, cozy beds, maybe."

Aurilie Alde

Post by Aurilie Alde »

Aurilie nodded once at that in acceptance at first. "Yes, that isn't to say that we haven't done so in our place of power but I don't imagine that our methods leave others in ruins, blown up with explosives or without their heads," said the woman who made it a hobby to collect the heads of animals.

"I've gotten by so far without needing to look too rugged," she offered her a small smile, hoping to mollify the situation somewhat. "I might have to consider getting myself a different sort of hat if this were to continue or proves to be a longer effort than I've anticipated. Amusement and fancy are things I'm hoping to keep out of this venture, admittedly. The last thing I want to do is have fun with these filthy and honourless sorts!"

That might have been a questionable statement later on, admittedly.

"Heat, yes, only because they've been able to wrangle some protection scheme with the local power plant. I'm not so sure about the nice and cozy part, especially when they probably don't pride themselves so much on hygiene so much, not as much as on power and greed. Maybe the locals are hoping that the pirates will catch enough rashes to consider leaving town altogether. I wouldn't recommend exchanging our accommodations here for theirs, our quarters here have been adequate, if a bit stark."