Jan Melmoar

[Day 1 LA] Tea For the Tillerwoman (Expecting/Closed)

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"It's simply a miracle you survived such a crash. Although perhaps one of the other ships cushioned your fall, hmmm?"
Jan turns on a sympathetic smile as she slides a pristine silver tea cup across the galley's equally clean table, the dark liquid within steaming gently.

"Still, there are so many from Alderaan here, I'm sure you'll get that ship back into working order in no time. But my dear, you must remember that if there's anything you need, I, and Czerka are here for you. We're all in this together now and I just hope the fragile bonds we may forge on this desolate planet remain intact once we live it."

Glancing over at her guest.
"Wouldn't you agree?"
Czerka Corp Director | Human | Strictly Neutral | Decorated Veteran| Got What's Hers | Sharpshooter | Has a deputy |
Cynella Alde

Re: [Day 1 LA] Tea For the Tillerwoman (Expecting/Closed)

Post by Cynella Alde »

"The other ship would have been buried far beneath the snow for that to happen," Cynella said. She couldn't exactly negate that claim even if she found it completely unlikely. "But yes, it is imperative that I retrieve the ship when possible. Though whatever lives are our priority, the ship does hold a special spot in a friend's heart."

She glanced down at the tea and then at her host. "That raises an interesting matter, however. Is there a possibility of Czerka taking a more involved stance after today's events? It's almost embarrassing how both governments were caught so unaware... And now, here we are."
Kuati Human | Princess of Mount Joral | Many Names, Many Interests | Motherly XO or Commanding Mother?

"You really mustn't overexert yourself. Building up a sweat in this cold will be the death of you, darling."
Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Oh but of course we'll help. It's like I always say, there's a time and place for government, but also a time and place for the private sector. Well run companies are agile, they respond quickly and efficiently to problems. I'm sure that had Czerka been running these expeditions the outcome would have been quite different."

She lifts a cup to her lips and sips delicately, enjoying the expensive and warm brew.
"But we can't dwell in the past now, can we? You have your ship to recover and we all have to work together to survive. My door is always open to you, should you need it. A warm shower, a spare change of clothes, a space away from the cold, always available whenever you ask. We do ever so much business with Kuat, people like us need to stick together. I just hope you can contact your family soon to tell them you're alright and there are folk here trying to fix things. Why, they'll be worried sick when they hear the capital ships went down!
Czerka Corp Director | Human | Strictly Neutral | Decorated Veteran| Got What's Hers | Sharpshooter | Has a deputy |
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Yes, it would seem that bureaucracy has placed us in quite a bit of a mess," Cynella said. It wasn't exactly proper to defame the Republic but there was often much amiss about it. Ironically, part of it was very much because they were sharing this base with the Empire... Too much bad blood for her to feel good about it.

Such could very well extend to Czerka but... there were still benefits to be had. "It is positively dreadful that both were destroyed. Impressive, even, that someone so capable could come in." She folded her hands and tried her best to consider the ramifications again. One ship was a small sacrifice for the Sith, assuredly, but a strange ploy if they easily wiped out the Republic one too. "I am hoping to contact a long list of people," Cynella continued. First and foremost were her children, of course, but she didn't want to sound too, too eager.
Kuati Human | Princess of Mount Joral | Many Names, Many Interests | Motherly XO or Commanding Mother?

"You really mustn't overexert yourself. Building up a sweat in this cold will be the death of you, darling."
Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Most concerning, isn't it? What sort of frontier pirate band is capable of overwhelming two fully armed capital ships? Clearly it was a trap, but why?"
Tapping her chin.
"There's money in the salvage of course, but hardly enough to be worth declaring war on the galaxy. A vendetta seems unlikely, too many people too complicated. Could be a religious thing, we both know what organised force worship. Then again Luci would have sensed that, hmmm."
Jan continues to muse silently as she continues sipping her tea.

"A long list of people? Well, I can't promise anything of course. But I can certainly look into it, if we don't all die of cold. Well, if everyone who can't fit on a working ship doesn't die of cold. If I can work something out you'll be the first to know."
Her smile has turned vaguely predatory, but it's unclear if that's directed at Cynella or just...everyone in general.

"Just between us, what was this whole..."
She motions vaguely with one hand.
"Alderaan...thing? I knew noble titles were widespread, but I feel like half the ruling class is here of all places."
And then, almost as an afterthought.
"What is your take on feudal nobility anyway?"
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"A trap, yes, but one meant to corral us all here? The beacons," Cynella trailed off. It would seem, at least, that the two disparate factions were indeed unlikely allies against an outside force. She couldn't be certain if they would need to expect another attack soon. Such warranted all the patrols. "Would the Force warn against a non-practitioner though? If this were, say, a conglomerate of droids?"

Cynella glanced towards the ship's exit. The base really wasn't an ideal location to herd all of the survivors, including so many of high pedigree. "I'd mentioned before that it is as if Alderaan itself headed this expedition. The Republic's expedition, that is." She still wasn't entirely sure on the Empire's original intentions. "I don't entirely understand your question regarding the very existence of nobility, however."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Against droids? Not generally, no. They're so useful, aren't they?"
Jan seems to smile fondly at a memory.

"Well, you're an educated woman, far more intelligent and better traveled than myself I am sure. I would simply be delighted to hear your opinions on hereditary noble systems. Clearly you've married into a very prestigious one, you must have so much insight. Would you say they do a good job running the planet?"
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"But from what I understood, the assailants weren't a conglomerate of droids," Cynella said, leaning in as she wondered if she was perhaps incorrect.

"Well, Kuat also had its mix of nobility," Cynella said, still having much pride in her home planet. That reminded her that she needed to make another visit soon. "I would say that the Ten of Kuat managed much more stability. That being said, I know I visited at a particularly tumultuous time." The whole Ulgo thing wasn't a secret, after all.

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Oh I'm sure some were. But I think it would be all about the speed. If you're already launching ships as soon as your opponents exits hyperspace, well then it doesn't matter if they can sense the danger coming, does it?"

Jan sits back thinking, considering the whole thing rather fascinating.

"Oh yes, but the Ten are different. You see I think there's....corporate nobility and then there's feudal nobility, if you follow me. Corporate nobility are about stability as you've said, and profits. And Kuat does fabulously. But on other planets where the nobility sort of just...owns land?"
She chuckles.

"Well, that's quite different."
Jan injects a touch of sincerity into her voice, looking away for just long enough to hint at some nebulous emotional weakness.
"I've been thinking about family you see, and legacy."
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"There may indeed be a range that the Jedi and Sith can detect such things," Cynella said. She highly doubted that, in most instances, they would sense anything in another system. Still, she wondered what exactly they noticed now that everyone was stuck here on the planet. There are ample distractions about, though.

Cynella looked at her tea idly as she considered more about planetary differences. "It's not as if the Ten don't also own things. But it is different. Soo much about it is money." She looked back up. "Family? I suppose Czerka has never been much about nobility, at least, regarding the titles and whatnot."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Oh we have noble investors of course. And many, many noble clients. But within the corporation things are..more meritocratic, in a sort of way. Anyone can succeed, if they have what it takes."

Meeting Cynella's gaze.
"Do you have children, dear?"
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Meritocracies can encounter the same issues hereditary nobilities can. After all, how can anyone be absolutely certain that the judges are impartial?" Cynella let out a wistful sigh for she knew that she herself was far from perfect. Much of what she'd accomplished had only been based on opportunities that had been laid out for her. All of that privilege, though, didn't necessarily mean guilt. More-so, it gave her responsibility.

"Yes. I'm surprised that that's not more common knowledge. Then again, it is rather obvious to me since my ordinarily life is practically subsumed by them." The echoes of their voices down the halls... If she ever heard them here, then she was likely going mad.

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Perhaps...perhaps."
Jan gives Cynella a look before moving on.

"Some women like to be told they look motherly, others less so. Sometimes it is best to ask before finding out. It sounds like you are taking an active role in their upbringing?"
She crosses one leg over the other and leans forward intently.
"Any advice on that? Lessons learned? How does one adequately prepare a child of all things for such wealth and power?"
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Active on some days better than others," Cynella admitted with a rueful smile. "Though in this instance, best that they aren't with me, yes?" Her expression turned a bit more pensive. The question remained, of course, if this woman before her was considering motherhood herself. "These things do not come without responsibility. It is a noble's purpose to lead. To falter in such a capacity is to doom everyone."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"One hopes with all that good breeding there will be no faltering. Still, thank you for your answer. It is a good thing they far away, hopefully somewhere considerably warmer than here."
Not that the Bottom Line was particularly cold, except around the various dark side objects cluttering the halls.

"If I did have children I would want to adopt, save some time, skip the most boring stages. And that way I can select for aptitude. I'd hate to spend 18 years raising a dullard. Still, then there's the problem of how one assesses the ability of an 8 year old to lead a major corporation..."
Her eyes narrow for a moment, considering this.

"How do you train your children? Private tutors?"
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Mount Joral isn't necessarily warm," Cynella said, though that did injustice to the fiefdom's considerable heating systems. "But safe? Yes, indubitably, compared to the mess we've found ourselves in."

She couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at the mention of boring stages. After she recovered, she took it upon herself to speak her mind. "Much research has pointed to the early developmental years being the most pressing times to shape a child." It felt like programming a droid... alas, she couldn't shake her controlling attitude. "That is why tutors and the like must be selected with even more care than, say, an adoption candidate."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

“Yes…yes I’d hear that about early development. My hope is that cloning might be able to at least partially solve the issue. We could probably flash imprint certain experiences…the cost would be great, but you can’t put a price on family, can we?”

Jan chuckles at that.
“Although then there’s the problem of them being force sensitive… I just don’t think it’s fair to Luci if the girl isn’t a powerful user of the force. I have my things and she has hers, and the child must be the best of both of us. Do you find yours are the same for you and your partner?”
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"Cloning could play a large role in development. That being said, I'm sure you don't want anything like acceleration lest you intend on outliving your heir," Cynella said with undue confidence. When it came to Jan, she wasn't entirely sure anymore.

"Luci, hm? I hadn't known." Cynella tapped her lips, pondering on some assurance regarding the Force. "I've been told that the Sith maintain bloodlines for that specific reason. How exactly such is accomplished, I can't be sure. Jedi, as I'm sure you're well aware, tend to go for a randomized adoption." Her brow raised. "I suppose that could be proof that you could very well adopt a child down the line." Implied kidnapping aside, it wasn't a horrible plan.

"That's what every parent wants from a child. Incidentally, forcing the issue can make the child fall short in all categories."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Outliving simply won't do, unless... you know, power struggle."
Jan shrugs.
"But I rather hope it won't come to that. But you're saying...don't force the issue? Just...let them be whoever they want to be?"
She leans back, her head slightly cocked.

"And what if they want to be a poet or a landscape architect? All my years of expensive tutoring and weapons training, wasted."
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

Cynella raised an eyebrow. "If they are your intended heir, then there wouldn't be much of a power struggle, yes?" There were times when people got impatient, of course, but she figured Jan would have enough control to not be overthrown.

"Perhaps an anecdote will do well. My parents wanted me to be a socialite and only just. Now I'm an officer in addition to that." Cynella finished the rest of her tea and let out an exaggerated sigh. "Oh I'm sure one could write poetry after another day in the field. Life has its way of delivering inspiration unto us."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Well, I'm hardly going to get into a power struggle with some schmuck off the street now, am I? If it's going to be anyone it has to be my heir."
Jan waggles an eyebrow.

"Your parents wanted you to be a...socialite?" Jan brings a hand up and half conceals a laugh behind it.
"Oh, oh my. To be born rich. At least you tried to make something more of it. I'm sure you're an excellent officer. Who do you serve with? And where have you served?"
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

"You never know, actually," Cynella said, softly as to cause the least offense possible. "I'm sure you've seen the holovids of some brazen upstart who has a long, lost claim to a vast inheritance. Of course, such is rarely as heroic as we'd like to say it is." Power struggles, mostly, involved quite a bit of bloodshed.

The use of tried did not, well, go unnoticed. Still, it wasn't something she felt the need to address. "It hasn't been too long. The Republic Navy itself, though sometimes I wish I'd stayed with Alderaan proper. It would have made it easier to remain at home with the children."

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

"Well, no chance of that. My family isn't important enough to have long-lost cousins roaming around hunting my fortune. I've checked. Just amazing what you can use Ancestry.Holo for."

There's a half second pause when Cynella mentions it's in the navy.
"Oh I see, well the navy is always prestigious, is it not? Lots of funding, lots of importance. Much safer than slogging around on the ground too. I'm sure you'll have your time to shine, end up captain of our own ship. Make sure to win some medals, navies always have the best medals."
Cynella Alde

Post by Cynella Alde »

Cynella pursed her lips. "If your family rose to prominence so recently, then surely a, shall we say, fallen household could seek to reestablish itself. But we needn't worry about such hypotheticals, right?" she concluded with her signature wink. She was, after all, getting far away from the point of the matter.

"Lots of funding in the navy. It's why Kuat has such a high stake in it, yes?" Cynella shrugged. "And yet, there's a shortcoming in such specialization. Czerka expands into much, doesn't it?"

Jan Melmoar

Post by Jan Melmoar »

Jan is momentarily taken off wink balance and her own response wink is delayed half a second.

"Oh, we own a bit of everything."
Jan pauses.

"I don't mean to be glib, we really do own a bit of everything. If we don't own a part of every company then we at least own their competitors. Diversification is crucial. We'll ship fresh fish to a planet, bring the ice, provide the stove and the power to use it, throw in cutlery and a dishwasher for our premium clients and then hire the waste disposal. All for a reasonable price, of course."

Her usual calm returning.
"It's amazing how much you can save when your banks lend to your mines who sell to your factories."