The small detachment sent to Hoth to deal with the pirates.
Nudimsu

Quo Vadis? [Pre-Game, Aboard the Turtle]

Post by Nudimsu »

Given the nature of the cargo, it was wise to avoid having to use the main fleet's ship at the start. Coming in from a different direction and meeting them in route was the best course of action. It was more expensive on them, of course, but with that many Force Sensitives on board, odds were possible someone was strong enough to be able to sense her. It would have been easier to taken a Imperial transport for the two of them. Yet, she chose the Turtle to take her there with her plus one.

He understood why, in a sense. Could never tell her, of course. For a lot of their interactions, there was little sharing done between her and Nudimsu. Both played their sabback cards close to their chest. He knew her tells, though. Staring at her face for so long, he could start to read her heat signatures on her face well enough by now to know a few things. And she knew his tells. The Force made it truly suppress things. Nothing needed to be said, because they both knew, in some sense, what the other one was feeling. So speaking on this current matter was not necessary; Nudimsu understood enough to grasp her actions and give her the space she needed, along with the Songbird.

He understood, and yet here he was, standing in front of her door like some pet, hoping to be let in. His paw on the door, ready to knock but still holding himself back.

He could be able to wave his hands like some Jedi and say something that could just magically make things better. He knew better, of course. All the logic and the reason in his head told him that even knocking on the door was a pointless act. She probably knew he was there too, acting like some emotionally stunted child that couldn't keep his emotions in check. He knew better than to do this. He was Chiss, not some lowly human; he needed to act like it.

He removed his hand from the door and took a quiet breath to recover himself before moving out to the commons area for something to consume. Maybe some caf, maybe something stronger. It would be some time before they arrived at the mark to meet up with the fleet. By then, maybe he could--no, he would be composed by then.
Prirnu'dim'suazzo| Chiss | Pilot | Neutral | Sneaky Sneaky | Not a Hugger | Pilot of the Turtle | Judging You

Equipment: Concealed Weapons, Commlink, Stimpack, May Be Wearing a Sneak Suit
Dapper Dog

Re: Quo Vadis? [Pre-Game, Aboard the Turtle]

Post by Dapper Dog »

In the common area preparing kaf was the woman known as Songbird, while it brewed she busied herself with cleaning. She sang to herself as she worked. It was a common sight to see the often quiet woman cleaning and singing.

Otherwise she was not terribly verbose.
Head GM | Darth Chocolate of the Sith | Duelist
Nudimsu

Post by Nudimsu »

He entered and gave a long look over at Songbird, watching her and politely nodding at her. He was never really sure what to say to someone who didn't really talk all that much. Most humans enjoyed talking about themselves, and it became easier to direct such conversations from there. This Songbird did not give him much to work with. Not to mention, the cover of her face made it hard to read her facial temperatures. It was just fades of head passing thru the cloth; that told him almost nothing.

"I rather enjoy your singing." He says, staring at her for a moment longer, finally figuring out something to say in this situation. "And...thank you for the cleaning; I tended to be the one to do it over the others before your arrival." He lingered his look for a moment longer before he turned away, reaching for a cup to prepare for his own caf. Maybe it was too quick to turn his head. It could have made her more uncomfortable to speak. Should he have waited longer for him to look at his face more? Ease her enough a little to let her guard down?

It was too late now to regret it; had to keep moving forward. She was the was the best chance to figure out what was going on with Lana; he had to at least try. Besides, he had complimented her twice in a rather short succession; that had to give him some sort of chance of a opening.
Prirnu'dim'suazzo| Chiss | Pilot | Neutral | Sneaky Sneaky | Not a Hugger | Pilot of the Turtle | Judging You

Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

The woman looked up and nodded at the Chiss and then nodded again at his praise. She adjusted her clothes and rose to her full height she was taller than most human women he had met. Her eyes followed his movements carefully.

“Thank you.”

She then moved aside for him and set some folded clothes on the common table, it seems she had been busy and not idle tending to the clothes of the crew she had found around the ship.
Hacha Tsuko

Post by Hacha Tsuko »

Hacha stumbles in, stretching and clearly eyed and helps himself to some of the caf. He downs the first cup, wincing a bit from the heat, but then nodding appreciatively.

"You know boss, this is pretty good. I was thinking that I was going to need to vaccum still to get some of the aromatics." Hacha begins to pour himself another cup, looking over at the human woman. His mouth puckers for a moment.

"I concede defeat. You are the superior brewer. This a very hard thing for me to say." Hacha looks over to Nudie and mouths out a few words.

See, I'm trying
Duros | Faction: The Turtle (ok, so Unaligned) | Schmott Guy (or so he likes to think) | Bankor Vet
Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

She gave nod of thanks at the kind words from Hacha and then got back to cleaning and singing a song to herself.
Pipka

Post by Pipka »

Following his nose, Pipka makes his way into the common area and announces himself with a high-pitched, "Caf!" Pouring a mug, he brings it close to his face to give an appreciative sniff. While his nose is twitching at the smell of caf, his ears are likewise twitching at the musical notes coming from their passenger.

After giving an ample amount of time to savor the aromas of the caf, Pipka gives a nod of thanks to Songbird, noisily slurps down his first mug, and pours a second. Before starting on his second mug, a maniacal grin comes across his face before addressing the pilot of the Turtle, "So... are we there yet?"
Chadra-Fan | Turtle Crewmate | Former Slave | Big Bangs in a Small Package | Goat Dad
Carries: FC-1 Flechette Gun, Gundark Scav-Suit, Pack full of the essentials
Speaks: Basic, Binary, Chadra-Fan, Cheunh(rudimentary), Durese, Gamorrese, Huttese, Pantoran, Rodese, Sith, Twi'Leki
I didn't choose the blue life, the blue life chose me.
description
Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

"No," Lana said as she entered, fresh from the refresher but fully dressed. "Still cold."
Hacha Tsuko

Post by Hacha Tsuko »

Pipka wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:04 am

After giving an ample amount of time to savor the aromas of the caf, Pipka gives a nod of thanks to Songbird, noisily slurps down his first mug, and pours a second. Before starting on his second mug, a maniacal grin comes across his face before addressing the pilot of the Turtle, "So... are we there yet?"
"Speaking as the one who did the Astrogation calculations, I can firmly say "we'll get there when we get there". And believe me, timing our route to be with the rest of the fleet, while limiting our fuel consumption was a work of mathematical art. You all may be suitably impressed." Hacha sips his kaf, seemingly expecting applause.

"Our fuel is going to be lower than if he had hitched a ride but, c'mon, our luck?" Hacha looks around the room. "It's not paranoia if you have been jumped coming out of hyper. Or had local authorities on the take alerted to your presence."
Duros | Faction: The Turtle (ok, so Unaligned) | Schmott Guy (or so he likes to think) | Bankor Vet
Nudimsu

Post by Nudimsu »

"Yes, Hacha. Our quiet Songbird must have had practice doing such things." He nods and sips the coffee himself. "Did not ever expect I would drink this stuff. I considered it like surrendering to my own bodily weakness. Funny how time changes things."

His eyes turn to Lana as she enters but don't linger as long for a moment before turning to Pipka. "Don't get it too quickly. Savor it. Besides, Durasay and Lana may want a cup. Speaking of, may I pour you one, Lana? It may warm you up some." His eyes turn to Lana, staring longer this time before glancing at Hacha.

"Yes, Hacha, the route was planned perfectly."
Pipka

Post by Pipka »

Hacha Tsuko wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:33 pm
"Speaking as the one who did the Astrogation calculations, I can firmly say "we'll get there when we get there". And believe me, timing our route to be with the rest of the fleet, while limiting our fuel consumption was a work of mathematical art. You all may be suitably impressed." Hacha sips his kaf, seemingly expecting applause.
[Durese] "Of course, you have masterfully plotted our course, I'm just keeping our pilot on his toes to make sure he isn't too distracted." He says with a playful wink.
Nudimsu wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:48 pm
His eyes turn to Lana as she enters but don't linger as long for a moment before turning to Pipka. "Don't get it too quickly. Savor it. Besides, Durasay and Lana may want a cup. Speaking of, may I pour you one, Lana? It may warm you up some." His eyes turn to Lana, staring longer this time before glancing at Hacha.
[Cheunh] "Look at me, I have to drink three or four to equal one of yours." [Basic] "I still think you let me join the crew because I consume fewer supplies." He adds teasingly.

[Sith] "Good morning Lady Lana, you look resplendent." Pipka bows his head reverently.
Chadra-Fan | Turtle Crewmate | Former Slave | Big Bangs in a Small Package | Goat Dad
Carries: FC-1 Flechette Gun, Gundark Scav-Suit, Pack full of the essentials
Speaks: Basic, Binary, Chadra-Fan, Cheunh(rudimentary), Durese, Gamorrese, Huttese, Pantoran, Rodese, Sith, Twi'Leki
I didn't choose the blue life, the blue life chose me.
description
Hacha Tsuko

Post by Hacha Tsuko »

"Flatterer"

In spite of his comment, Hacha smiles and takes a slight bow.

"As excited as I am boss, and I understand that we operate on a "need to know basis" on jobs...what precisely are we supposed to be doing when we break hyper? I heard a bit about pirates. You know I would take three of them on one of the Turtle while we are fully repaired, and fully crewed like we are now, but it seems a little odd that they would take, you know, us."
Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

Lana accepted the offer from Nudimsu with a stoic smile, imperceptible but it existed for the fleetest of moments. She listened to the flow of conversation and then said, “The Turtle has proved itself exceptional on many sorties. Besides the Bespin run, we… you rarely have issues.”
Nudimsu

Post by Nudimsu »

The bat was a rare species that could pick up on the subtle sounds of the his language, which actually did impress him. His vocals of his species also could allow, with more practice, to actually say complete sentences, much better than Hacha could be capable of, despite his higher intelligence.

That being said....

"It's Csehisbah ch'ah, not Csehisbah ch'ah . Make sure to hit the back of your throat on the 'eh' sound. You had told me that you wanted me to drink 3 or 4 of you. I have enough sense to know that is not your intention." He moved over to pour the cup in the meantime. "Your ration control does make you more appealing, but you've proven yourself more than capable thru your skill; do not sell yourself short."

He paused for a moment and a small smile crept on his face as he poured the cup, but left as quickly as it came. It may have been due to his pun, it could have been to what Lana said: who could ever tell? "In the meantime, Lana is right, we are more than capable of going thru any blockcade these pirates throw at us. At least this time, they don't have any fear based Force powers to make things difficult. Still, it is never appealing to go thru any battlefield that opponent controls, much less has had a chance to prepare for your arrival.

He finished pouring and making it the way she liked it and walked over with the cup in his hand over to her, extending his hand over to her for her to reach. "As for what we are truly doing here, we must be cautious for now. The Republic tend to be rather foolish on these sort of things sometimes and can hardly keep a secret for too long. They'll let it slip out eventually our true intentions on this planet soon enough, either by choice or by incompetence."

Hacha Tsuko

Post by Hacha Tsuko »

Hacha makes a casually dismissive motion at Lana's slip of words. "You've been on long enough, youze are one of us, right boss? I mean, we would still call Craw one of ours and we barely saw him at Alderaan. It's one big dysfunctional family...I think. My Xenology is rusty, I can't remember exactly..." Hacha shakes his head. "The point stands."

The Duros regards Nudisumu's thoughts and nods absently. "You make a good point. We do make for an excellent blockade runner, and if the goal is secretly an exfiltration, we are plausibly deniable assets for taking a runner while leaving a "humanitarian mission" in the lurch, I'd say we've been paid to do worse." The Duros crimps his fingers at the words he is adding emphasis to and looks over at the pair of humans.

"Did I do that right? I can't keep up with the kids and slang these days."
Nudimsu

Post by Nudimsu »

Nudimsu nods his head to Hacha's comments. He at least could understand the flow of everything.

"Lana hopefully knows by now that she is part of this family, the mess that it is." He says, keeping his hand on her coffee, extending it out to her, his eyes staring at her intently. "We share the rewards of our labor, and we share the burdens that being together brings. You as well, Songbird. So, if there is something we can do to help while you are aboard more comfortable..." He pause and stared at the two women, keeping a lingering eye on Lana for a bit longer before looking away. "...You'd only need to tell us."

Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

Lana gave a brief frown and then said, “I assure you, I will keep you apprised of anything important that could affect the crew. I appreciate the warm welcome, I did not wish to overstep and assume anything more than I should. But as Hacha said, this is becoming a rather interesting family.”

“Hoth… this will be my second time here, I doubt the planet has improved in any meaningful way.”
Nudimsu

Post by Nudimsu »

"And I am happy you have found a way to be a part of it." He nodded and gave her the cup of coffee and moved away. Maybe he could have planned out what to say better. Been more clear. But there was no time for regret now. If he said it sloppily. Even if he would replay this scene in his head over and over again and kick himself every time.

Just had to move forward.

"Yes, I do recall you mentioning that fact some time ago. Rather amusing story, if I recall correctly. Anything of interest you can tell us about the planet, then?"

Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

“Well in short Hoth is a terrible place, you cannot be exposed to the air without sufficient gear and clothing or die in minutes. Most of the wild life will try to kill you from wampas to snow cats… tauntauns are an exception but they have a rather particular odor that gets in everything. The terrain is mostly glaciers, jagged hills and mountains and kilometers thick ice over everything. Storms are a constant on Hoth, it has an active weather system producing powerful blizzards and white out conditions.”

She continued, “The few settlements that live there are usually sentients that are well adapted to the cold, cults… or pirates. It also has a rather extensive debris field from the many battles and ships lost when going to the surface. Most equipment fares poorly on Hoth, without proper protection and hardening. It also causes havoc with external sensors and makes travel across the planet a serious ordeal.”

“The planet is the definition of a death world.”
Durasay Mixo

Post by Durasay Mixo »

"Add a few deciduous forests, and you've described the world Pantora orbits, Orto Plutonia." The tall Pantoran entered the room, coming in from his room. He ran his dextrous fingers through his hair, the widoes peak more prominent due to age. His smile easily reached his eyes. The veteran negotiator was dressed in his normal fashion, his old service uniform from the PDF, cross flap across the torso artfully open, showing the dark grey henley beneath.

The uniform has been tailored, the shoulders widened, his form more physicsl than the lean form of when he had served almost three decades prior.

Those Yellow-Amber eyes taking in the gathered crew and guests, posture relaxed. The ornate hilt slung low on his hip, replacing where had long held a blaster holster.

"We should have several thermal cloaks in with the crash kit. Perhaps when we meet up with the fleet, we can requisition other weather proofing supplies." The man pondered out loud, before regarding Lana and Nudimsu.

This was nice. He had remembered the way Nudimsu had mentioned her all those years ago on Alderaan.

And his own professional dealings with the woman on Nar Shaddaa.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.
Pantoran | Peacekeeper | Commanding Presence | Field Commander | Tough | Enhanced Leader | Strong in the Force | Confident
Carries: Lightsaber, Modded Heavy Battle Armor, Cascader, Utility Belt
"All journeys end..."
Nudimsu

Post by Nudimsu »

"Why anyone would want to settle there is beyond my understanding." He gave a moment's thought and drank his caf. "Assuming you've already adapted the engines to traverse to the weather, Hacha. Well, as best as one can anyway. The cold is one thing, but if the snow that bad, we best have some measure to use the Turtle in small doses in it. A separate oxygen supply in case you need to go higher. Extra layers are also important as well when not in your armor. as well. Even if it is sunny there, and who knows if it will ever be, you must treat it with some severity."

He stared at Durasay for a moment and nodded. Really could have used him a few minutes ago.

"Orto Plutonia was nicer than Hoth is described; I did travel there a few times while I lived on Pantora to keep up with my training. As Durasay said, thermal cloaks should take care of some things, but it will still be uncomfortable with them on. Very important to also check your gear and especially your blasters to ensure they do not have any snow in them. Outside of it is okay, inside is where the problems begin. Snow will melt from heat of the blaster shot and then it will freeze up within a hour or so. That can possibly cause potential jamming of key components or shortening them out."

Durasay did have the advantage in the cold; his cousin race lived on the surface, embracing the cold. His own people lived underground from the cold, only living on the surface to fool outsiders. They each took turns sharing the burden and the secret, but they still were all taught how to live in this weather; it's been drilled into him since he was a child. "And please, don't be stupid enough to go outside alone."

Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

"I would add that last time I was there the White Maw were around but scattered, more like scavengers than a unified force. They preyed on the weak and scattered at any sign of show of force. Dangerous if unprepared," she said.
Hacha Tsuko

Post by Hacha Tsuko »

Nudimsu wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:23 pm
"Why anyone would want to settle there is beyond my understanding." He gave a moment's thought and drank his caf. "Assuming you've already adapted the engines to traverse to the weather, Hacha. Well, as best as one can anyway. The cold is one thing, but if the snow that bad, we best have some measure to use the Turtle in small doses in it. A separate oxygen supply in case you need to go higher. Extra layers are also important as well when not in your armor. as well. Even if it is sunny there, and who knows if it will ever be, you must treat it with some severity."

"Orto Plutonia was nicer than Hoth is described; I did travel there a few times while I lived on Pantora to keep up with my training. As Durasay said, thermal cloaks should take care of some things, but it will still be uncomfortable with them on. Very important to also check your gear and especially your blasters to ensure they do not have any snow in them. Outside of it is okay, inside is where the problems begin. Snow will melt from heat of the blaster shot and then it will freeze up within a hour or so. That can possibly cause potential jamming of key components or shortening them out."
"The cold isn't the problem on this old girl." Hacha taps a nearby wall of the Turtle. "We are rated for travel in sublight in a vacuum. I don't know how cold it is planetside, but I personally doubt that it's that cold. My biggest worry is what you said about the other equipment boss: ice and snow. I've taken the liberty of reinforcing the frame, and like I mentioned, we are literally vacuum tight on the internals which is why we aren't asphyxiating at the moment. But wherever we part her, unless it's perfectly dry, we are going to need to worry about freeze and thaw on the external sensors and weapons."

"As much as I hate to say it, we might want to keep the ship at low power whenever we aren't in active patrolling or combat."

"If there is a need to get around the planet surface, I might be able to make something out of a "long term investment". Hacha coughs. "I am pretty sure that I could assemble something out of the parts that we stumbled across on Alderaan. They've been gathering dust for a bit. It won't be anything fancy, but if we are in a pinch, or are looking for something to charge a pirate nest planetside..." He trails off.
Durasay Mixo

Post by Durasay Mixo »

"Let's temper expectations." Durasay held up a hand, his other coming to the bridge of his nose. His dreams as of late have been keeping him up, and there was the mild pang of a hradache due to the lack of sleep. "With it being a death world, we might be more focused on just surviving to be able to negotiate with these pirates." Those eyes locked on Hacha, "and keeping this ship in tip top shape in case they decide they don't want to buy what we're selling." The smile returned, softening his words.

"Might need the parts just to be prepared than driving around."
Pantoran | Peacekeeper | Commanding Presence | Field Commander | Tough | Enhanced Leader | Strong in the Force | Confident
Carries: Lightsaber, Modded Heavy Battle Armor, Cascader, Utility Belt
"All journeys end..."
Nudimsu

Post by Nudimsu »

"At least we have those at the ready, then. Hopefully we won't need to rely on that, but at least the option is there for us to get something." He nearly had forgotten about how he managed to secure that vessel.

It was a fond memory of some...minor law breaking.