Jan Melmoar

It's Just Business [Jan Epilogue]

Post by Jan Melmoar »

Scene 1

“And that is why with great regret, I am tendering my resignation. With the ongoing war effort consuming much of my time I can no-longer serve Czerka as my role requires.” Jan half-bows to the other figures seated around the darkened conference table as she settles back into her seat, fingers curled around her cane. President Corrinopo nods from the table’s head, the old rodian’s ears twitching slightly. “You have our thanks for your service Director Melmoar, but perhaps this is for the best. Since the war started our stock has plummeted and I note that despite security being your division, thefts of our inventory have skyrocketed these past few years. Some new blood will do the company good.” A sly grin spreading across his face. “And there is the matter of your company stock, what a shame it will all have to be sold at such a historical low. Still, a tidy sum indeed, for your service.”

By contrast Jan’s matching smile is purely predatory and dangerous, several of the directors present shrink back on instinct. “Oh don’t trouble yourself about that, I sold all of my stock just as the war began. You remember that price spike when it became clear the galaxy needed more weapons manufacturers? I almost lost track of all the 0s in my account. Of course I needed somewhere to put all of that money and I just know Czerka so well, I had some friends short our stock. It’s an even more tidy sum, for my service.”

Standing with a quiet sigh in the stunned silence of the boardroom she pauses for a moment to look each of the other directors in the eye. “And the timing really is fortuitous, why tomorrow I’m incorporating Melmoar Industries. And you know, we have quite a glut of inventory, reminds me of all our Czerka equipment, just at better prices. So it would have been a clear conflict of interest for me to serve both companies.” Turning and walking slowly to the door she throws one final parting comment over her shoulder. “Oh, and as the building’s new landlord I am asking you all to vacate by the end of the week. The purchase was something security would have had to sign off on…but I suppose that was my department.” And she’s gone.

Scene 2

The distant explosions reflect pink, red and yellow through the ship’s view port as the Zakuul squadron detonates at anchor, a series of replacement hyperdrive cooling units failing catastrophically. The cloaked cruiser has an excellent vantage point floating silently in the void of space as the station below begins to disintegrate. The ship’s bridge is quiet, the men and women of Melmoar Industries going about their business as President Melmoar and her daughter watch the fireworks.
“That’s the 3rd patrol this year, mother. The Zakuul will eventually discover the source of all these explosions. It might not work again.” The girl is growing into that phase where for a short while everything looks awkward, where someone can become mostly knee and elbow. “Quite possibly Lucy, quite possibly. But we do have R&D working on those new speeder bombs that can avoid most scanners, we can always shift our campaign to targeting collaborating officials, they tend to have less security.”

The President pauses for a moment before glancing over. “I saw you got a B+ on your calculus test…”
“Mother, I was exploring the depthless bounds of the incalculable force.”
“Is that what you call attending that concert with little Princess Alde?” Jan raises an eyebrow with a smile. “I hope it was a good one, didn’t they have that cute boy singer?”
“Mother!” Lucy flushes deeply. “I- we should focus on those speeder bombs.”
“Of course dear, of course. I was thinking we target blasts big enough to take out the entire vehicle, Zakuul scum seem to pick their seats at random.”

With an airy wave Jan signals the helm and their ship starts to slowly power away into the blackness of space.
“I also think we need to have the talk.”
“Ugggh! Mom! I already know all that stuff.”
“Then you’ll ace the quiz.”
“There’s a quiz?!?!”
“Of course dear, life will never stop testing you. And you’ll never stop acing it. B+s not withstanding.” With a quiet ohoohohoho of her own Jan leads the pair off the bridge.
Czerka Corp Director | Human | Strictly Neutral | Decorated Veteran| Got What's Hers | Sharpshooter | Has a deputy |