Large hangar for space and land based vehicles, plus basic maintenance equipment.
Layne Hoshin

Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Baras [D8, EE]

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Layne went in search of Jerri. Or Irrej; she still wasn't a hundred percent sold on the notion that that was supposed to be his *real* name. But whatever; not important right now.

Honestly, this morning she'd considered simply walking away again. She couldn't *feel* the kind of connection he seemed to feel to her; but she'd decided to just give it a try. See where things go. For all his faults, Jerri was the only one who'd ever been so adamant about connecting with her. Maybe she *deserved* to have someone like that in her life, after all. And if she couldn't feel it just yet, maybe that would come in time?

If not for that kind of thinking, she might not have bothered to track him down, now.

Layne had felt the death of her old master, maybe even that of Sylvain. She was pretty sure Jerri wouldn't care about the latter, but his own brother? Well.. maybe, maybe not. He clearly cared for their *sister*, but whether that kind of feeling extended to his brother... she would have to find out.

That in mind, she made her way over to the Infinite Destiny, assuming that's where he might be found.

Assuming he was even still alive, of course.

[Looking for Jerri, but Luth will show up too]
Jedi Master | Human | Elevated Slave | Former Sith | Intimidating | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Natural Bladeswoman | War Hero
equipment: Jedi Battle Armor, Lightsaber(Black), Lightsaber(Blue), assorted other stuff
Darth Irrej

Re: Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Baras [D8, EE]

Post by Darth Irrej »

Irrej was at the edge of the hangar looking out at the cold frozen wastes.
Sith Lord | Elegant | Refined | Masked | Envoy

*Played by Dapper Dog
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Noticing him standing there, she moved over toward him instead of the ship. Standing next to him and looking out as well.

"...did you feel it?"
Jedi Master | Human | Elevated Slave | Former Sith | Intimidating | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Natural Bladeswoman | War Hero
equipment: Jedi Battle Armor, Lightsaber(Black), Lightsaber(Blue), assorted other stuff
Darth Irrej

Post by Darth Irrej »

"Of course," he said solemnly. "I feel like a piece of me is now gone. Broken."

*Played by Dapper Dog
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Another figure approach the edge of the hangar from behind them. Her voice sounded like part of her had died. "... Darth Irrej. Layne."
Sith Lord | Human | Former Spy | Assassin | Sniper | Baras' Ghost | Tired

Equipment: Broken Promise (armor), Rifle, Binoculars, Sylvain's Amulet
Darth Irrej

Post by Darth Irrej »

He held up a data pad and added, “I have never read such a poor review of my work, still cuts me right to the bone that they would consider my work a derivative of that nonsensical Vera Hawke. Surely they do not understand truly enticingly written eroticism if it bit them on the bottom and screamed bloody murder.”

“I was not aware you were such a fan?”

*Played by Dapper Dog
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"I felt it to--"

Jerri interrupted her to talk about a poor review instead, and she blinked.

"...I meant Baras," she said, perplexed.

And then Luth showed up behind them. And she sighed, looking toward the other woman. Part of her was angry at her. She didn't know *exactly* what happened. But she could *guess.* The part that was angry at Luth was a pretty big part, actually. The other part of her was... well, she was uncertain what that other part was feeling.

She sighed.

"...maybe we should hear her out."
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

"... That would be ideal," she agreed. "But naturally I wouldn't presume on either of you. Draahg already made his announcement."

Darth Irrej

Post by Darth Irrej »

“Oh, you mean my brother’s death, it was the best of times and it was the worst of times. He was my brother so I shall always feel a sense of endearment and although we were not close in our latter years, we were family. And he had children, apparently, so good news bad news?” he responded.

He wobbled his hand, “I just assumed he would have been killed by an apprentice, he betrayed and then they got the better of him and so on and so forth. But instead he died being heroic, defending this Echo Base, almost romantic.”

Looked out at the wastes and said, “Your time is at an end dear brother, return to the sea, be the rolling wave, be the still waters, and perhaps one day we shall be united once more.”

*Played by Dapper Dog
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

She wanted to let out a deep sigh at the dramatic words, but she just couldn't. Dramatic words were appropriate here, she supposed, so she was just quiet a moment, then glanced toward Luth again.

"I have a feeling his death was not quite as heroic as it might've been made out to be..."

She looked away again then.

"...Why don't you tell us, Luth. What happened to them."
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

"... I think it's fine to think that way about them," she said after a long moment.

"Sith go in lots of ways. That's one possibility. Another could have been that one tried to leave their master without a fight. The master might take umbrage with that, and what said apprentice tries to take with them, and take their hate out on the person they believe is the true source of the problem. One could presume the initial apprentice wouldn't take kindly to that and reassess their initial plans of nonviolent exit." She looked to Layne. She wasn't sure about Irrej's capacity to handle the truth. "More elaborate version of what you said, I suppose, really. Tragic, though." She definitely meant that.

"Your brother was... less than a fan of the Minister of War."

She paused. "... Anyway, they're your nephews. You're obviously welcome to come visit Van and Aral at some point, if you wish. I haven't decided where we're going yet, but Alderaan has been a strong contender."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Anger. Betrayal. Sadness. Mixing freely with one another. Maybe there was even a bit of growing acceptance in there, somewhere. All of those feelings would've been visible coming across her features.

"...There was a time I'd have given everything to be the one to do it."
Darth Irrej

Post by Darth Irrej »

Layne Hoshin wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:14 am
Anger. Betrayal. Sadness. Mixing freely with one another. Maybe there was even a bit of growing acceptance in there, somewhere. All of those feelings would've been visible coming across her features.

"...There was a time I'd have given everything to be the one to do it."
“It is the way of Sith to desire power, and you were his apprentice so it seems logical. I mean you tried once right? Admirable, all the same,” he admitted.

*Played by Dapper Dog
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Luth was much more difficult to read, keeping her feelings close to her chest as she always did. Neither she nor Baras had ever been able to take off their masks, presenting nothing but walls for most people around them. Now here they were as a result. Layne could see the muscles of her jaw shift and the rims around her eyes become red, as well as at her nose.

"I... think I get it," she agreed. Layne also had something taken from her today, even if it was an opportunity. And there was Syl, even if that was weird and contentious. The next was for both of them in some ways as a result. "My condolences for your loss. Anyway... I should be going."

She stepped back and turned to exit unless either stopped her.

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Luth Khalan wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:46 pm
Luth was much more difficult to read, keeping her feelings close to her chest as she always did. Neither she nor Baras had ever been able to take off their masks, presenting nothing but walls for most people around them. Now here they were as a result. Layne could see the muscles of her jaw shift and the rims around her eyes become red, as well as at her nose.

"I... think I get it," she agreed. Layne also had something taken from her today, even if it was an opportunity. And there was Syl, even if that was weird and contentious. The next was for both of them in some ways as a result. "My condolences for your loss. Anyway... I should be going."

She stepped back and turned to exit unless either stopped her.
"Luth," she said, shaking her head and stopping the woman with words, if she was so inclined to stop at them, "I wanted it once. Maybe I wanted it now again. But, really I didn't. Or shouldn't, more like. It is what I learned in the vergence. That there are things I should simply try and let go off."

She sighed. "I do wish I could've at least talked to him one last time. Just to tell him he no longer held any power over me. Did you at least get to do that? Did Sylvain?"
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Layne Hoshin wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:10 pm
"Luth," she said, shaking her head and stopping the woman with words, if she was so inclined to stop at them, "I wanted it once. Maybe I wanted it now again. But, really I didn't. Or shouldn't, more like. It is what I learned in the vergence. That there are things I should simply try and let go off."

She sighed. "I do wish I could've at least talked to him one last time. Just to tell him he no longer held any power over me. Did you at least get to do that? Did Sylvain?"
She stopped and turned, listening to Layne sincerely. Her eyes were visibly a little glassy and reflective. She closed her eyes hard, taking a moment for a deep breath to collect herself before answering. "Yes. I think we made that point effectively," she said, meeting Layne's eyes. "Sylvain was always very results-oriented. The cost was too high, but he finally got his results. And I'll yell at him wherever he is in the Force if he still thinks he's failed."

She rubbed a hand over her face. "That's a good lesson from that vergence."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"It was," she said wistfully, "though I should have learned it sooner. And I wish it had taught him the same thing... everything here on Hoth felt like coming full circle. That first time he and I went into that vergence... it was like two siblings who used to hate each other, finally reunited and putting their differences aside. I was so certain that whatever end would come, we'd be there together for it..."

She sighed.

"...but it was not to be, I guess."

A thoughtful look for a moment, before she continued.

"What will you do now?"
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

She let out a long breath. "Sylvain asked me to see to Arymis and Addison, so getting them and mine and Baras' children somewhere safe during this war is the first priority in the short term. Then do what I can against Zakuul." She replied, looking out into the snow. "After that... I don't know. See what the Republic has to say after the war. Maybe go to the Jedi."

She paused, silent for a moment before continuing. "I... learned a lot about building institutions unexpectedly, recently. One of the ideas I was floating the idea past Sylvain before he died of possibly founding something new. Things are going to be in flux for a while. It'll be a good time to create. Not everyone fits into the established paradigms."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"I think you would benefit greatly from going to the jedi. At least for a while. You only ever had the teachings of the Sith. I can't say that they have all the answers, and I agree we can't all fit into the established paradigms. But, you'd probably benefit from the expanded perspective if you do decide to try and build something new."
Darth Irrej

Post by Darth Irrej »

"I can second that, if that means anything," Irrej added.

*Played by Dapper Dog
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

She nodded and smiled a little. "I agree. I'll do that. Thanks, Layne, Darth Irrej." She nodded to both of them. "I should head out. More people to see."

She stepped back. "Best of luck, both of you."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

She nodded at Luth; uncertain of what else to say at this time and deciding to let her just go instead of filling the air with meaningless chatter. Once she was gone, she looked back to Jerri. Or Irrej.

"Are you okay with this?"
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

/exit

Darth Irrej

Post by Darth Irrej »

Layne Hoshin wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:46 pm
She nodded at Luth; uncertain of what else to say at this time and deciding to let her just go instead of filling the air with meaningless chatter. Once she was gone, she looked back to Jerri. Or Irrej.

"Are you okay with this?"
"Okay with what?" he asked checking his cloak for any flecks of dirt or grime.

*Played by Dapper Dog
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"Everything," I guess, not really sure how else to put it into words.