Basic living area, apartment style living for two people per room with a public refresher for personnel.
Layne Hoshin

Dear Sir or Madam [D5, EM]

Post by Layne Hoshin »

The letter she had to write to the family of Lt. Ujips was a... predictably difficult thing to have to do. How does one explain to someone that you murdered their wife, or mother? How does one begin to explain, much less provide them with a reason they could accept?

She didn't want to just beg for their forgiveness. Write something that would earn her pity, the way her life story if written down might seem designed to inspire. But neither did she want to deprive them of the full story. They needed to understand just as much as Layne had to. Without the proper context, they would never be able to give it a place in their own lives. They might not ever be able to; certainly might not ever be able to forgive her. But she had to present them with the option to, at least.

So, she decided to write them *two* letters, with one only to be opened if they should ever feel ready for it.

In the first letter, she told them what she had done and offered her apologies to the best her writing skills allowed. She gave them a basic explanation, acknowledging that it was wholly insufficient. She told them she can not ask for their forgiveness, nor their understanding, but that the second letter tries to explain it all as best she can. And that if they do not want to hear it, they have every right to never read it.

In the second letter, she writes down her lifestory, or at least the parts of it that ended up leading her to this point. She does not draw it out for pity points, but neither does she try to keep herself from writing down the parts that matter: The slaughter of her family by slavers. Then having those same slavers turn her into a tool to capture and hurt more slaves with. Made into an attack dog for their amusement. Being sold into the mines on Kessel when she outlived her usefulness. Forced to fight and kill again to survive. Taken and tortured by the Sith. Killing the Sith only to be turned into one herself and forced to kill even more people. The struggle with it all, both before and after she became a Jedi. Her obsession with redeeming herself; doing what was right for all the wrong reasons. And at last, the way she fooled herself into believing the death of Lt.Ujips was to be a stepping stone to truly earning that redemption she sought, and realizing her terrible mistake only when it was too late.

The letter doesn't try to justify any of it; merely to help them place it all in a context that might one day help them make some sense of it, just as writing it all down now was helping her do the same.

Today was better than yesterday.

Tomorrow might be better still.

She knew it would be a long process that was nowhere near done, and she knew she would likely stumble along the way. She wasn't going to let things turn out the way she'd seen; wasn't going to fall into despair like that by running down the same path again. But neither was she just going to follow the path now laid out for her by others. Maybe that part was just her being stubborn again; but that stubborness hadn't always led her astray. It had made her do some pretty terrible things, but it had made her do the best things she'd done, as well.

Going forward, she was sure she would disappoint people again, from time to time. But she had no intention of doing the same to herself. Or if she was to do so, well, she would find a way to live with it. The path to healing started with acceptance, after all.

She had been many things in her life, and she could never just be any one of them.

Slave. Slaver. Liberator;
Victim. Killer. Hero.

Murderer.

Strong and wise. Weak and foolish.
The center of the storm. Nothing more than a leaf.

It was time to accept that it was all a part of her.
Jedi Master | Human | Elevated Slave | Former Sith | Intimidating | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Natural Bladeswoman | War Hero
equipment: Jedi Battle Armor, Lightsaber(Black), Lightsaber(Blue), assorted other stuff
Breela Po

Re: Dear Sir or Madam [D5, EM]

Post by Breela Po »

Breela walks up to the cracked door, cup of Caf-Cocoa in hand. She looks for a second before politely knocking. "Layne? Feel up to talking?"

When you turn to see her you might find it curious that she's almost fully kitted out with her battle armor, backpack, and combat webbing on. The only thing she's currently missing is her coat and cloak.
Jedi Knight | Armor underneath a Heavy Coat, and Cloak | Hooded, Gloved, Nice Boots!

Equipment: Always wears a utility belt, various items stuffed away including two or three concealed weapons, a few stim packs, and a flask/canteen.
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Breela was hardly the person she'd expected to come talk to her, but she hadn't been expecting to talk to a lot of the people she did in the past twenty-four hours or so.

"...sure," she said, looking at the last line she'd written on that second letter; before closing it and looking at Breela.

It was hardly curious to be kitted out like that. Layne was *always* kitted out that like that herself, after all. Now was just... an exception.
Jedi Master | Human | Elevated Slave | Former Sith | Intimidating | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Natural Bladeswoman | War Hero
equipment: Jedi Battle Armor, Lightsaber(Black), Lightsaber(Blue), assorted other stuff
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

"I missed the trial on purpose. But I heard the gist of it. You've been consigned to Purgat- ummmm, I mean Tython - huh?" She smirks, "My condolences." Breela sees the space letter and sighs. "I've been busy. I wish I could have been more helpful, I'm sorry for that."

She'll make a move to enter and find a proper seat.

"I'm not here to judge your actions, or cast aspersions. Just here to remind you once again that you don't always have to go it alone. If you ever wish to run worries by someone I'm a good listener. If you need a distraction I'm generally pretty good at that too, when I have the time."

"Today... well, time may be short. I've got a myriad of problems and a raid to orchestrate. Assuming the force is on my side..."

She'll look at you with a warm smile, "So... Layne, how are you really? Don't hold back if you don't want to."
Jedi Knight | Armor underneath a Heavy Coat, and Cloak | Hooded, Gloved, Nice Boots!

Equipment: Always wears a utility belt, various items stuffed away including two or three concealed weapons, a few stim packs, and a flask/canteen.
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

She had no intention of winding up on Tython. Or prison for that matter. Not anymore.

"We'll see," she said to that, then nodded at the rest of it.

"A lot will happen today. And here I am, stuck doing nothing at all. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be. I'm sure Thy and some of the others think so, at least. They think they're protecting me from myself, but they're wrong."

She looked up at the ceiling. "I think I'm finally ready to be okay with myself."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

"Whether that's how it's supposed to be or not, I can't say. I know that if you end up on Tython, nothing will indeed be what you do. So much nothing that you'll probably go mad." She sits down and makes herself comfortable. "However, I don't think they're wrong in trying to protect you. More in point of fact you simply need to learn to lean on others more."

She sips her caf-cocoa. "Why don't you lean on me today? I could use a hand with my raid. And there are non-combative things that need to happen. It'd be a good excuse to get on your feet and back out there moving."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"I'm not like the rest of you," she said. "And I don't think I'll ever be. Even if I could be, I don't think I *would*. Or should. All of this has taught me more about myself than I ever could've learned without it. I do wish I could've learned it some other way, but I'm ready to accept it and what I am. The good and bad both."

She sighed. "I am going to be who I am. Wherever it takes me."

Silence passed for a moment, as she stowed the datapad away.

"So... what do you need? I think I can guess, but tell me anyway."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

Breela looks curiously at you, "What is that supposed to mean? Not like who? And since you know me so well I'd like to hear that guess."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"The Jedi, of course," she said, not clawing back at Breela's ruffled fur.

"I don't know *your* past specifically, Breela. Maybe you've done all the same terrible things I've done, including the things I've never told anyone. I don't know, you could have done them, even chosen them like I did. But I don't think you did. I think you've just been driven into a corner and you're imagining yourself as being much worse than you really are because that way it's easier to do what you have to do. Believe me, I know what that is like."

"The Chiss told me you're going after the pirates. But really, your children."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

She quirks an eyebrow, "So... you're not one of us anymore huh?" She sighs, "If I told you my past would you even care? Sometimes I wonder if you can even see past your own nose."

She laughs coldly. "Yes... Layne. I'm going after my children. Best part is, for the most part I've done it without dipping into my own well of hatred and hurt." She rolls her eyes, "Contrary to seemingly popular belief. And I can tell you that in my thirty nine years on and off battlefields I've done some horrible things too. Including and not limited to sacrificing allies. Maybe I didn't wield a lightsaber to do it. Maybe I didn't offer them up on a dark alter. But you can bet I've mercilessly sent people to their deaths without flinching. I've killed Jedi, and I've gone off the reservations in the name of 'the greater good'."

She shakes her head. "I don't need your help. I want your help, or maybe I did. But you can continue sitting here feeling sorry for yourself if you prefer that to action." She stands up. "Sorry I disturbed you."

She starts for the door. I tried.

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

She sighed.

"This isn't me feeling sorry for myself, Breela, even if that's what it sounds like. This is me accepting who I am. The good and the bad both. That's what we have to do before we can heal, isn't it?"

She stood up.

"You're right. Maybe I can't see past my own nose. Maybe I *shouldn't* try to override the way you feel about the things you've done, the way the Jedi did with me. Always being told I was okay now, that I was a good person at heart, that I was so strong, a hero, all of the above and more. Being told those things over and over meant I couldn't properly address the things I'd done, and because of that I couldn't move past it."

Another sigh.

"I'm trying to move past it now. But yes, maybe what I just did was doing the same thing to you, invalidating your own feeling and choices. If so, I apologize... let me help."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

She stops halfway out the door, listening. Finally after a spell of contemplation she says, "If... being here has taught me anything. It's that the Jedi can come down off their pedestals, and the Sith can take the high road."

She turns back around to face you.

"In my youth I reasoned that great good required sacrifices. As I matured I wondered if maybe Jedi should aim for the grey line between the light and the dark. Then when I had my first child I realized that the galaxy doesn't actually need the Jedi. It'll spin whether we're mucking things up or not."

She sighs. "If it's your choice to abandon the order, that's fine. I won't tattle to Thy. It took me a lot of drinks and a very sweet man to help me find who I am. Then when I got the chance to bring life into this galaxy, I got to walk a far simpler path. And honestly I wish I'd have just kept walking."

She smiles. "I'd welcome your help Layne. Before you run off and find your own measure of peace. I'd like for you to meet mine."

She holds out a hand. "Is that acceptable?"

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"I am a child of the Sith, Breela, but I've seen where that path leads. And I've been a Jedi, and seen where *that* path leads. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd pick the Jedi of course. But the Order and the code it lives by have failed in ways I can't reconcile with the path I feel I have to take in order to heal myself. In some ways, even the Sith would make for a better place for me to heal, though it'd end up simply twisting me all up again in the end, somehow."

She shrugged. "Maybe I'll come back to the Jedi in time. I'd like to think I might. But if I do, it won't be for a good long time."

Layne held out her own hand. "I don't know where I'll end up after this coming war. But for now, I'm still here."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

She shakes your hand. "You are your own person. When the time comes stick to the path you feel is right. That's what I believe, and that's why I will continue to believe in you. Listen to the force within, and accept the force without."

"Well... that's that. Now tonight, assuming nothing crazy happens, we're going to throw a party at the slave compound outside of Junktown. I've already got two teams ready to go, as well as a few people offering to help with logistics. A few of us are going to meet up in the afternoon to do a more thorough scouting run. I thought you might like to join in that?"

(You have your reason :P)

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"Sure," she said with a light shrug and smile.

"But if Thy gets mad at me for skipping out of the base, I'm blaming you."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

She snickers, "I'm not scared of Thy. I still have dirt on her from the old days."

/Scene?

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"Well now, that'd be interesting to hear," she said, a friendly and amused enough smile and tone of voice though maybe a little bit of the Dark Side was creeping into her regardless.

[If you'd like? Could also keep chatting, but that's up to you, if you feel Breela would move on]
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

Breela laughs freely, "A good gambler never reveals her trump card." She thinks for a bit, "But if Thy ever gets beyond uppity with you, just tell her you know about the power converters." Breela smirks, "It'll make her squirm like a Hutt in heat."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"I am sure she used to get into a lot of trouble," she said. "I spoke with her younger self once. She seemed much more reckless than the person she grew into."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

Breela gets a mischievous glint in her eye as she leans forward.

"Image"

She says. "Tell me everything."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"It's not that exciting. I'm sure you've heard the stories about how she accidentally turned herself into a holocron."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

"This is the first I'm hearing about it. Sadly I've kept myself so busy in other theaters that I'm behind on most of what she's been up to outside of Alderaan."

She chuckles.

"Before Coruscant I was running resistance operations. Or if we're being technical I was an advisor or attaché. So I was never privy to her shenanigans. Nor did I linger long in the lunch lines at the temple to catch up on the latest gossips." She smirks, "Classic Thy, getting holocron'd. But she did tell me about getting frozen in carbonite. Here I thought she was just exfoliating or something. You guys (humans) take twice as long as us (farghuls) to reach maturity, and don't get to enjoy your prime near as long. Sufficed to say I was surprised when I saw her again decades later."

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"It was before she got frozen. Left the holocron she made behind, to be discovered on Korriban by my class. My... rival at the time... he found it. And well, I couldn't let him have any kind of advantage he might use against me, so... I wanted it. Hatched a plan to steal it back, which worked, then went to try and convince the Holo-Thy to give me something to use against him. She saw right through me."
Breela Po

Post by Breela Po »

"Korriban?" She muses. "Hmmm..."

Her mind turned over three times quickly. Revisiting old memories, putting together old puzzles. Finally she emerged from thought, "Well. Thy has a well honed intuition. But it is curious that this is the first time I'm hearing about all of this. I'm guessing you never gained her confidence?"

Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

"The holocron passed to another before I could try again," she said. "I could probably find it again if I wanted to. There's really only a couple of places where it could be. But Thy doesn't particularly care to retrieve it, and I guess it doesn't really matter."