The main common area; utilized for eating , sleeping, and basic sub standard living.
Tethys Carrack

Re: [Day 4 - ME] The People vs. Master Hoshin

Post by Tethys Carrack »

(((Asking everyone's pardon in advance for the incoming wall of text :oops: )))

Tethys looks first surprised, then grave at Lord Bellious's interruption from the makeshift gallery. However, things seem to have gotten more or less on track again now.

"Very well." She catches Baesal's eye and nods. It's quite right for her fellow Jedi to do the utmost in her role as Layne's advocate. Truth and clarity are important too, though.

"Members of the tribunal and the Echo Base joint mission, these are the facts as my co-counsel, Countess Lanar, and I have learned them." She taps her datapad; even a Jedi needs written notes at a time like this!

"First, the charges of murder and escape. On the evening of [D2], Lieutenant Henley Ujips was last seen alive leaving Echo Base on a routine sensor check. Early the following morning, Master Hoshin left the base alone, on foot. Out on the ice sheet, she encountered and killed Lt. Ujips. This tribunal has the autopsy report of Dr. Omandri Rist, confirming that Lt. Ujips was restrained before her death and killed with a single lightsaber blow. The strike was clean and expert. Countess Lanar and I remind this tribunal that Master Hoshin is a noted lightsaber duelist, well known for her skill and precision with this weapon. Later that morning, Master Hoshin returned to the base in company with Darth Baras and Lord Draagh, in their shuttle." Tethys doesn't editorialize about the implications here. It hardly seems necessary.

"Lt. Ujips' body would later be reported to the mission by Lord Draagh and recovered. A few hours after returning from the ice, Master Hoshin, in obvious emotional distress," yeah, that is certainly one way of putting it, "called Lord Luth Khalan and the Jedi present in Echo Base to a meeting on Master Baesal Zyn's ship, the Star Moth. There, Master Hoshin confessed to having killed an innocent person that day. At the time, Master Hoshin was acting under the mistaken belief that she needed to create darkness in her connection to the Force, to aid her in some task she wished to complete. Mistaken though her reasons may have been, this was therefore, without doubt, an intentional act. After confessing, Master Hoshin agreed to be taken into custody by Jedi Master Katarzyna Panteer and me until this matter could be investigated. The tribunal knows the state of Echo Base shortly after we all arrived here; lacking a secure holding cell, we confined Master Hoshin as securely as we could. However, sometime that afternoon or evening, she broke out. Master Hoshin was seen at large that evening, entering Lord Bellious's ship along with other guests, and later that night fled the base and disappeared. Until this morning."

She sets her datapad aside. "Master Hoshin has now chosen to plead guilty to these charges. It falls to the members of the tribunal to decide whether her plea is offered voluntarily and knowingly. Does the tribunal need any further evidence or testimony from Master Hoshin to make this determination? If the tribunal accepts Master Hoshin's plea, both sides can discuss mitigating factors which may affect the sentence for these crimes. There is also the charge of espionage, which Master Hoshin and her advocates do contest. Would the tribunal prefer to hear that now, or to accept Master Hoshin's murder and escape plea first?"

Tethys clears her throat, glancing toward the door from which Lord Bellious had so recently been ejected. "Of course, if the Empire claims Master Hoshin as a new or repatriated subject, that would certainly change the scope of this tribunal. At home, Sith may enjoy a great deal of impunity to kill or harm non-force-sensitive officers of the Imperial military and other subjects of the Empire--" she glances at General Zholyeva here, willing the woman to see: This is what they think of you, this is what you're worth to them, how can you be blind to it? "But this is a joint base, Lt. Ujips was a Republic citizen. And in the event that the Empire side chose to voluntarily break the truce by harming a Republic citizen, things here would quickly become... complicated."
Light Side ○ Jedi ○ Human ○ Tall ○ Wanderer ○ Calming Aura ○ Nobody's Fool* ○ Profile Link
(*If shading the truth or socially manipulating, let's roll dice and see what happens.)

Notable kit: Robes, utility belt, lightsaber, comlink, cuff bracelet (energy buckler); backpack and/or Jedi armor when called for; faint but distinct scent of sea air.
"Jedi are peaceful, not idiots."
Qozaiym Zholyeva

Post by Qozaiym Zholyeva »

The general listened to some counsel from the Senator and Jedi and then said, "Let's continue wizh the charge of espionage. Zhen defense can make zheir statement."
General | Imperial Army | Human | Tall | Slave-Born | Renegade | Hardened | Strange Accent | Sith Empire

*Played by Dapper Dog
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Luth rose, raisinga hand. "Objection, the prosecution is addressing statements made by those outside of these proceedings," she stated. "I request that Jedi Carrack's statement of supposition about claims the Empire could make be stricken from the record."

She glanced toward the prosecution, only briefly, trying to keep the confusion from her face. Still, once the objection was overruled or sustained, they could continue.
Sith Lord | Human | Former Spy | Assassin | Sniper | Baras' Ghost | Tired

Equipment: Broken Promise (armor), Rifle, Binoculars, Sylvain's Amulet
Tethys Carrack

Post by Tethys Carrack »

Tethys looks soberly from Luth to the judges. "Whatever the tribunal decides, of course."
Light Side ○ Jedi ○ Human ○ Tall ○ Wanderer ○ Calming Aura ○ Nobody's Fool* ○ Profile Link
(*If shading the truth or socially manipulating, let's roll dice and see what happens.)

Notable kit: Robes, utility belt, lightsaber, comlink, cuff bracelet (energy buckler); backpack and/or Jedi armor when called for; faint but distinct scent of sea air.
Thy Yulani

Post by Thy Yulani »

Thy said warmly, "We hear the defense, let's just focus on the matter at hand, Tethys. Umm, sustained, is that the correct wording?"
Light Side | Human | Chill | Old Soul | Mother | Duelist | Jedi Master

*Played by Dapper Dog
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

She nodded with a small smile. "Thank you." She sat down, looking toward the prosecution to address the espionage.

Tethys Carrack

Post by Tethys Carrack »

Tethys nods to the Thy and the other two judges. "Very well. That doesn't need to go in the record." She'd said it, which is what matters, right? If there are any other Sith thinking along the same lines as Lord Bellious, then between Baras's intervention and her own... supposition, maybe they'll keep a lid on all the human sacrificing and whatnot for the duration?

The worst part is over, now, and she almost feels relieved. The worst part--the terrible thing she knows Layne did, for a terrible reason, did it and then as good as begged the three Jedi present to absolve her and let her go do more of the same. Layne has taken responsibility, for real this time, with no wriggling about being justified for some kind of greater good, or demanding that her friends earn her redemption with their forgiveness. Now it might be possible to come to some sort of restoration, for Lt. Ujips and the rest of her living comrades-in-arms on the base as well as for Layne. At least, Tethys hopes so.

But first, there's one more thing to get through. She sighs to herself and pulls her focus away from the dejected-looking Layne, picking up her datapad again.

"The third charge is espionage. This tribunal knows, and the Jedi Order itself knows, that Master Hoshin was once an apprentice and enforcer of Darth Baras of the Sith Empire. Master Hoshin defected from the Empire eleven years ago, becoming a Republic citizen. After a period of service and contemplation, the Order accepted her into our ranks, and, as you also know, she rose over time to become a Jedi Knight and even train an apprentice of her own. I don't need to remind this tribunal that Jedi do not directly serve the Republic, or any state. Still, Master Hoshin participated with distinction in Republic military actions, including the liberation of Bankor from Mandalorian invasion ten years ago, and other conflicts since. Master Hoshin is also known for her heroic efforts to free, and resettle, sentient beings illegally enslaved on several worlds as she traveled widely--and independently--throughout the galaxy." Tethys presents this list of mostly positive-seeming facts in a carefully neutral tone.

"All this we knew. However, what we did not know is that on her many solo travels, Master Hoshin also retained contacts with certain highly ranked individuals within the Sith Empire. On [D3], when she confessed to the murder, she also confessed to meeting, communicating with, and plotting with these individuals, without the assent or even knowledge of the Jedi Order, going back as far as ten years ago. These high-ranking Sith include Darth Zash, who secretly infiltrated the Republic relief forces during the Bankor war and very nearly single-handedly destroyed the strike force's flagship; the Queen of the Yavin Massassi people; and the Emperor's Wrath, the late Sith Emperor's personal enforcer. Master Hoshin undertook these secret alliances in service to her goal of killing the Emperor. However, whatever the tribunal thinks of this goal, she deliberately hid her actions and the fact that she was passing information to the Sith. The Tribunal must decide if Master Hoshin's plotting with these people, privy as she has been to important military and diplomatic secrets of the Republic and Jedi, rises to the level of espionage."

Tethys... really doesn't look as if she's enjoying this. But she's nothing if not stoic.

"There is also the matter of Master Hoshin's actions on [D3]. Both after the murder and after her escape, she was seen in the company of members of the Sith order. Of course," a slight wry smile tweaks Tethys's lips for just a moment, "this is commonplace for all of us on both sides, over these past weeks on Hoth. But it is significant that after her escape, the Sith Order of her former master, Baras, is where she fled first for refuge. The tribunal must consider this as well, from the perspective of Republic law and Republic interests."

She sets the datapad down again. "That concludes our opening remarks, I think, Countess?" She glances at Riss.

Leontyne Saresh

Post by Leontyne Saresh »

There are gasps from the peanut gallery and the Senator frowned making notes on her datapad.
Twi'lek | Senator | Seasoned Politician | Fearless | Ambitious | Republic

*Played by Dapper Dog
Dapper Dog

Post by Dapper Dog »

The General looked to Riss, if they were done then she would gesture for the Defense to reply.
Head GM | Darth Chocolate of the Sith | Duelist
Riss

Post by Riss »

Riss would simply confirm that they were in fact done following Tethys' words with a nod, all had been properly accounted for by the skilled Tethys.
Alderaanian Nobility | Human | Countess Lanar | Socialite | Diplomat | Disarming Smile | Bisaster | Bo's Favorite Sister
Description | Theme
Artist

"It's not me, it's you."
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Luth rose, taking a deep breath through her nose. There is no doubt. for one minute... let's tap into that Luth from the vision. She could do this no problem. Channel Empress Luth for just a moment.

She lifted her chin and straightened her back, all confidence.

"Once again, the prosecution brings up information that is not within of the scope of this court. None of her activities on Bankor or elsewhere matter in this time and place outside of potentially prejudicing the judgment of the court against the defendant. We are addressing the events on Hoth specifically. If the Republic wishes to try the defendant for crimes across the Republic, Empire, and independent systems, then let them do so in a fair trial, rather than an ad hoc tribunal on a remote planet during extreme circumstances. Which isn't to speak less of this court or its members, but it is limited in many ways. Galaxy-spanning activities require a little more than..." She looked down briefly at her fingers, tapping one after another, mostly for drama. "... twelve or so hours of discovery, which is an insanely short time under any other circumstance. Trying her for whatever act of espionage those might have been right now with so little information would truly be a mockery of justice for not only the defendant, but all those who may have been victims of her actions."

"Allow me to ensure that we are all enlightened as to the burden of proof on the prosecution. They have to prove that while we have been on Hoth, Layne Hoshin willfully communicated, transferred, or received specifically classified government information or information that relates to national defense, that the defendant acted with the intent or reason to believe the information will harm the Republic or aid the Empire, and that there was an overt act in furtherance of a conspiracy to commit espionage. Because of this, I will ask that part of the burden of proof on the prosecution for a guilty verdict be the classified government information that the defendant informed the Empire of, provided to the judges of this tribunal."

"I will note that all of our actions on this planet have aided the opposite side to some degree, so there needs to be an accounting for the realities of our situation in the court's judgment. We have all been in close contact with the members of the Republic or the Empire, including members of those with authority. If merely having contact with Darth Baras is a crime, than all of the Republic observers of this trial are guilty. If we are counting aiding our opposites as a crime, than anyone who has built up the base or provided for our survival is guilty."

"The defense contends that there is insufficient evidence to conclude that Layne Hoshin engaged in espionage within the scope of this court's authority because she, in fact, did not do so."

Tethys Carrack

Post by Tethys Carrack »

Tethys turns to the three judges. "A brief pause, if you will. Some clarity as to the intentions of the tribunal would be helpful here." She opens a hand, palm-up. "Countess Lanar and I were asked to account for a charge of espionage, up to and including the present circumstances. We are prepared to do so. We were not made aware of the proposed limitation Lord Khalan proposes. If the tribunal wishes to limit their review in this way, Countess Lanar and I will conform to that course."

Tethys considers her next words for a careful moment, folding her hands on the table in front of her. "If I may offer a personal opinion, outside of this role? I don't mind if it is off the record, or on. Whatever suits my colleagues of the moment." She half-shrugs, one shoulder rising a bit.

"If the purpose of this proceeding is to exact the maximum penalties possible under Republic military code, and no less, then I agree that we're not well-equipped to serve that purpose here. We can't leave Hoth, nor communicate off-planet to fully gather information. We also," her brows arch resignedly, "as Layne has already demonstrated once, don't have the facilities to securely imprison someone with her particular skills. But if we did, and if that was our goal, we should by rights confine her in the brig until such time as she can be properly tried in a Republic judicial facility somewhere. That might be a matter of several weeks, or a few months."

"However..." Tethys nods to the tribunal again, then looks out across the assembled sampling of the residents of Echo Base: a community, of sorts, however ad-hoc and tenuous it may be. "If the goal of this proceeding is the health of the community of necessity we all find ourselves a part of here--our ability to trust one another and work together, for as long as we need to do that to survive--then its priorities are different. In that case, what's needed most urgently is the restoration of trust. If it's possible to resolve all these questions hanging over Master Hoshin's head, transparently, in a way that satisfies the tribunal and assures the community she isn't an impending threat to their safety, then that would be better than leaving those questions open, casting doubt and shadows."

"Whatever conclusion the tribunal reaches today, Master Hoshin still has the full right of appeal once we're able to contact the Republic. At least, that is my understanding; Senator Saresh, please correct me if I am mistaken." Although if that isn't the case, Republic principles are really being suspended here, and Tethys won't be happy about that.

"Well. Assuming we all survive that long, of course." She winces slightly. Oops, too much honesty?

Riss

Post by Riss »

Standing up from her secondary position, Riss adds her voice, "I cannot say it any better than my companion Master Carrack has spoken. As for what portion of this community I might lend my voice to I can assure you that I find it most imperative we grant ourselves the transparency required that we can all at least sleep a little better at night. That we are not going to have a repeat of such grievous offenses as such that Layne Hoshin, and whatever titles she may still hold, has admitted guilt of already. For each of us here that remains trapped in this situation together, and for the late Lt. Henley Ujips we must see to this joint venture that her family might at least know the full truth of what happened here this day. A truth that we are not equipped to fully discover trapped together as we are, but with time and joint survival," she looks directly to Layne in this moment as well as though that stand beside her, "we will."

"Just as my companion, however, I Countess Lanar remain prepared to proceed as the Tribunal dictates."
Alderaanian Nobility | Human | Countess Lanar | Socialite | Diplomat | Disarming Smile | Bisaster | Bo's Favorite Sister
Description | Theme
Artist

"It's not me, it's you."
Baesal Zyn

Post by Baesal Zyn »

The Jedi master tilted her head when Tethys Spike again. Something she had just said...felt off
Jedi Master - Togruta - Student of Master Raji Xen and former Sith Apprentice - Mistress of Artifices - Maverick of the Order - Killik?
Notable: Sleek alien cyberarm (left), Jedi robes, Silver coils around her lekkus
Often seen with R5-T8: her droid assistant
Qozaiym Zholyeva

The General looked to her peers and then said, “You are right we don’t have zhe tools for a full scope investigation but restorative justice and ensuring trust is zhe goal. Perhaps it is best we cut to zhe chase, although I do not wish to diminish the charge of espionage it may fall outside the scope of zhis tribunal.”

“Defense, Master Layne, you have pleaded guilty to zhe killing of zhe Republic officer and the subsequent escape from custody. My peers are prepared to render zheir judgment. Zhis is your opportunity to explain to us why, we understand if you are reluctant to incriminate yourself.”

She finished with, “Zhe choice is yours.”
General | Imperial Army | Human | Tall | Slave-Born | Renegade | Hardened | Strange Accent | Sith Empire

*Played by Dapper Dog
Layne Hoshin

Post by Layne Hoshin »

Layne rose, gaze downward as she considered what to say, if anything at all.

She didn't mind the prospect of speaking up and further incriminating herself. What she *did* mind was speaking up to explain, only for it to be seen as her begging forgiveness for something she could not be forgiven for so easily. She feared it would just be a rambling mess, seemingly designed to invoke pity.

All of the things she's suffered as a child, and then did to others. Some of it because she had no choice; but far too much of it done entirely willingly. And the end of the argument would be what? That she had murdered that woman, because she was chasing redemption? Take another life, so she could earn forgiveness for all the others she took?

Not to mention, what of the efforts of both Luth and Baesal, defending her? Either the court would take mercy on her after Layne making such a plea, a mercy she didn't deserve; which would be terrible... Or they didn't, and all the work that they'd done for her would be for nothing. Who knows, maybe it'd even screw things up for Luth. Whatever Baras had wanted to get out of this trial, maybe he'd already gotten it, or maybe it hinged on Luth making the best case she could and Layne messing it up could see the woman or her children suffer for it.

And maybe she just needed to accept things as they came, anyhow.

That in mind, she took in a deep breath and looked up.

"...I was a fool, and I do not wish to try and justify it somehow. So... I will give myself over to the judgement of this court."

She exhaled whatever breath was left, then looked to Luth, and then Baesal. She knew the latter would probably have a closing statement to make of some sort.
Jedi Master | Human | Elevated Slave | Former Sith | Intimidating | Fearsome | Shii-Cho | Natural Bladeswoman | War Hero
equipment: Jedi Battle Armor, Lightsaber(Black), Lightsaber(Blue), assorted other stuff
Luth Khalan

Post by Luth Khalan »

Luth nodded to her, then looked to Baes to finish.

Tethys Carrack

Post by Tethys Carrack »

Tethys doesn’t speak out of turn, but she does turn her full attention on Layne when the fallen Jedi gets her chance to speak, trying to really see her. Trying to let Layne know that she is seen, whether or not that is a comfortable thing.

You came back. I haven’t given up on you.

Baesal Zyn

Post by Baesal Zyn »

Baesal nods to both Luth and then to Layne when she sits back. It was no her turn to stand up.

''The defence had asked for the presence of an expert witness to speak to the court about the state of the defendant's mental well being but...'' she paused

''… the defense will not seek to call upon this testimony as the defendant does not wish to use this to shed any of the culpability she soulders. She stands here so that she can face the consequence of her actions and that justice be made and peace be brought to the victim's next of kin as well as this community.''
Jedi Master - Togruta - Student of Master Raji Xen and former Sith Apprentice - Mistress of Artifices - Maverick of the Order - Killik?
Notable: Sleek alien cyberarm (left), Jedi robes, Silver coils around her lekkus
Qozaiym Zholyeva

"Will zhere be any ozher witnesses?" she asked of either side.

*Played by Dapper Dog
Riss

Post by Riss »

Baes receives a very cold glare from Countess Lanar as she's speaking. With a small shudder she shakes out of it, and presents to address the court.

"The Prosecution is prepared to rest your honors," she declares, and awaits the Tribunals word.
Description | Theme
Artist

"It's not me, it's you."
Baesal Zyn

Post by Baesal Zyn »

Baesal stands up once more

''The defense is ready to rest''

She sits back, waiting
Thy Yulani

Post by Thy Yulani »

The group conferred and then Thy spoke first, “Master Layne, your service to the Republic has been exemplary over the years but it cannot excuse the actions you have taken in these last few days. You will have to restrict your activities, short of emergency operations to the base and devote yourself to duties around the base, plus guided observation with any of the Jedi Masters and to report to myself daily for evaluation.”

“During this time, you will not be allowed to carry your weapons,” she said. “They will be held in trust by myself.”
Light Side | Human | Chill | Old Soul | Mother | Duelist | Jedi Master

*Played by Dapper Dog
Leontyne Saresh

Post by Leontyne Saresh »

The senator rose when Thy sat down, and said harshly, “Layne Hoshin you have failed in your duties as a defender of the Republic. The life you have taken can never be repaid, but I am assured by the Jedi that you will be forced to face the gravity of your actions. Still upon our return to Republic space I will see to it that you are held criminally responsible.”

“I would have you thrown in the deepest jail for your betrayal of trust, but I am told that could problematic. Instead you will be confined to Tython to live out your life in exile under the watch of the Jedi Order, we do not accept claims that you are a citizen of the Empire.”

Leontyne finished with, “That is all.”
Twi'lek | Senator | Seasoned Politician | Fearless | Ambitious | Republic

*Played by Dapper Dog
Qozaiym Zholyeva

"Zhis judgment is not what I would have come to, but zhis matter is concluded. Master Hoshin, her defense, do you understand or have any questions?" the General asked.

*Played by Dapper Dog